Will a GeForce 9800 GTX+ work on my computer?

massimou

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Hi!
I'm not very experienced at this, so I thought I'd ask for some help. I have a computer with the following specs:

Motherboard: MSI MS-7225 (NashM-GL8E)
Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4200+ 2.2 GHz
2 GB PC2-4200 RAM

At the moment the computer supports 300 Watts of power, but I will have no trouble upgrading to 650 Watts, so that's no issue.

So now I want to buy a new graphics card and I think the EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ looks quite nice. The question is, will it work in my computer or do I have to upgrade anything else as well? Also, are there any other cards you can recommend?

Thanks for all the help!!

/Massimou

massimou

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I think I have enough space, so it'll be fine. One thing though.. For some reason, I've gotten the impression that Nvidia'ss cards are "better" generally than ATI's. Is this true, or is it just in my head?

It's a fair impression due to ATi's slacking in coming up with competition after the 8800 series from nVidia.

But now they're some-what even. Now, the final decision it's up to details: cooling solution, power draw, bargains, video playback, etc...

Esop!

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
4850 FTW!

Right now, many would say ATI is leading the gpu sector...they currently have the fastest gpu available and have caused nvidia to significantly drop the prices on their products...but IMHO, both companies offer great products...they are constantly going back and forth for the gpu crown...back in the day nvidia was king, then ati's 9xxx series blew nvidia out of the water...then nvidia came back with the 6 series and took the crown...then ati came back with its X series...then nvidia came back with its 7 and 8 series...here is when ATI took so long to answer back to nvidia (ATI's 2xxx series wasnt a huge success)...until ati's 4xxx series came along, nvidia held the gpu crown...

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i still remember the X1950XTX just pwn every single card out there easily. but the 4870X2 is not exactly that but it still win anyway.

4850 will be a smarter move but it will be slightly hotter and noisier compare to the 9800GTX+ to be honest with you. but then again you do get more with the 4850 in terms of FPS.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
AMD cant exactly repeat the history it still beats Nvidia GTX280 but not by a fat margin like before.you get what i mean bro!

i wonder whats the next gen is gonna be like!i think now for AMD it will be a TICK next where as Nvidia will need to move on to TOCK to be honest! thats what i think anyway.you?

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
i get what you're saying...

I feel like nvidia for gpus became what amd became for processors...once they had the crown, they simply sat down and made slight improvements on that architecture (AMD rested on its Athlon64 and Athlon X2 as nvidia did with its 8 series)...where as ati (like intel...lol) decided to start from scratch and come up with a superior architecture...