fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Halo, yesterday i had my system up and running fine on a GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard without a graphics card since the MOBO has onboard graphics. My 4870 came today and i decided to install it. Since my case is very small i had to take out the roof of the case and take out the motherboard. At the same time i decided to apply arctic silver to my cpu.

I was a bit sloppy with the thermal removal liquid and i think some seeped down the side into the socket. As a precaution i took the cpu out and didnt see any visible liquid on the cpu or in the socket. So i connected everything back up and the computer doesnt start. No spark no fans no nothing.

I eliminated the connections down to the bare essentials. 4 pin and 24 pin mobo PSU connector. CPU fan into mobo. And power switch from case.

Still doesnt work.

I tested PSU by shorting it and it works, tested the memory and it works, used a different starter cable from case to make sure that was the problem and still doesnt work.

Ive noticed that my CMOS battery seems to be loose as well (i might have dislodged it when inserting graphics card on the motherboard). So loose one side is dangling out.

I pulled out the CMOS battery because it didnt seemed connected at all.

Tried again still doesnt work.

I know where all the cables and stuff go as ive built 3 computers based on this moterboard.

So question is, my MOBO cant work without cmos battery? (it didnt seem possible for me to reconect the battery since whatever was holding it fell out)

Did my mobo die somehow?

Did the thermal removal liquid do something to my CPU?

Either my CPU or MOBO has a problem and i dont know if the mobo problem is fixable.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Take the card out and confirm if it works with onboard again, if it dont you probably screwed your mobo.

If it does the your new video card is doa.

Possibly you need to switch it to PCI-e in the bios because its booting from onboard, give it a try.

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I tried taking the 4870 out and just using the bare essentials.

Mobo must be dead not able to work without CMOs battery.

I just hope my CPU didnt get screwed up

I'm thinking your MOBO would work without the battery (just like if battery died). What you'd notice is that the CMOS would essentially be cleared and all your dates/times reset every time you'd reboot. It would never save any of that information. Then again I've never had a mobo long enough to have a battery die on me. LOL! Either way, you're going to want to get that fixed...

A LED lights on the mobo at all? Some of them will light up once the 24pin power connector is attached and the PSU is switched on. Even without a CPU, Memory, etc... the mobo should scream/beam at you if you try to power it on...

You might try pulling the CPU out again, and just make sure there's no materials dried onto it. Also make sure the pins/contacts don't look corroded or anything, just in case any of that stuff got on it. It is probably possible, that if there were some liquid/thermal compound on the contacts when you fired it up it could short circuit the CPU. And I suppose a dead CPU could keep your mobo from functioning.

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
No there is no signal, nothing.

I realised that it should at least attempt to power on which it didnt.

Relieved that my CPU is probably fine since even if there was some liquid on it my mobo didnt have the chance to short it.

I guess ill have to order a new motherboard. Sigh :)

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Ok i just attempted what some guy on a website recommended.
I took out the 24 connector. Turned ON psu and slowly insterted it into the slot. About half way into the slot the PSU turns on for like a second then off for a second then on then off etc.... While the CPU fans spin at full speed.

The funny thing is when the connector is all the way in it doesnt do this.

Obviously this isnt a solution but perhaps it proves something?

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Sound like you shorted the mobo when removing it from the case. Remove it and check the back. Also, try to smell it. The thing you did with inserting the PSU into the socket when it's running confirmed it. By inserting the connector halfway into the socket, it cause a high joint to the short. The high joint send a surge of voltage to the fan but it does not really power up the system. Dead CPU will still give beeps on the mobo.