How to seperate user data and windows files on an SSD and HD?

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hi guys,
Right now I'm running W7 RC on my WD black 1tb. What I want is to add an SSD and reformat the 1tb drive so that I start out with a clean slate (I dont need any files on the HD). What I want is the OS on the SSD and the user files (Like user/pictures or users/videos) on the 1tb drive as the C:// Drive. Is this possible? I just want to separate the OS so my computer boots faster and I want the 1tb drive to hold all my music, pictures, videos, and most of the games.

Basically, I want the SSD to hold the OS, photoshop and a game or two. And I want the 1TB WD Black drive to hold all the stuff that I won't access a lot and can keep in mass storage- as well as having the WD Black drive be the primary drive for everything besides booting up. I may not have worded this that great, so if something's unclear due to my phrasing I'll fix it ASAP.

Thanks guys,
radiowars

Solution
It's easier than you think.

1. Install both disks in computer.
2. Install OS onto SSD
3. Format the 1TB HDD any way you'd like (one partition, multiple, whatever)
4. Create a folder structure on the 1TB drive
5. Right click on your "pictures", "documents", "music" folders.... etc and go to properties, and just move them to the folders you created on your 1TB drive.
6. Enjoy.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
You can change the location that the mydocuments folder is stored if you right click on it and select properties. should be on the location tab. just change it to your 1tb drive.

Alternatively you could just create folders on the HD manually and store your junk in there.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
It's easier than you think.

1. Install both disks in computer.
2. Install OS onto SSD
3. Format the 1TB HDD any way you'd like (one partition, multiple, whatever)
4. Create a folder structure on the 1TB drive
5. Right click on your "pictures", "documents", "music" folders.... etc and go to properties, and just move them to the folders you created on your 1TB drive.
6. Enjoy.

Solution

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Ah thanks a lot. I didn't feel great about asking this because it's kinda a stupid question (lol) and I tried to look it up but never found it. Thanks for the answers guys :D