michaelt86

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I cannot play far cry 2 unless I disable my X-Fi extreme music. When my X-Fi was enabled FC2 would hang at the 3rd loading screen. When I disabled the card the game played beautifully (minus the sound). Luckily my mobo has ALC850 8 channel sound

Will I experience issues if I install the ALC850 software needed to operate my onboard sound while keeping my X-Fi driver/card installed? Should I disable my X-Fi card first or uninstall its drivers and remove it from the mobo?

I have searched FC2 forums and there have been numerous people with Soundblaster audigy 2 zs and xfi-xtreme music issues w/ farcry 2.

My set up:

Amd 3700+
X-Fi xtreme music
asus a8n sli premium socket 939
8800gts
2gigs ocz ram

Have you tried the last available drivers from Creative?

Are you running WinXP?

I also have the X-FI Extreme Music, but my wife inherited it when I went to the X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatal!ty Pro, because I was after a soundcard that would work good in Vista64 and it does.

For Vista the Creative Alchemy drivers, redeliver the 5.1 surround.

As I've been saying for a while now, Creative has terrible driver support, even under XP. Crysis/Warhead, FarCry2, CoD4 and some others have issues with certain cards, my ExtremeGamer being one of them. At this point, I see no reason to buy anything from Creative until they get their act together.

Back to the OP, installing your onboard drivers should not conflict in any way with your systems operation. You can switch the default sound output device via the Contol Panel in Windows. Just make sure to remember to plug your sound output into the proper jack for the device you are using.