4870 Fanspeed problem

Shadow of Dawn

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I did the fanspeed fix in the CCC and it work fined. But I wanted to OC past the CCC limits so I downloaded the AMD GPU Clock Tool and this made the fanspeed fix not work, so I unistalled the program but now when I load a new profile in the CCC the fanspeed fix doesn't work anymore. I'm at a loss at what to do, I've tried unistalling and reinstalling CCC but it still doesn't work.

Help will be very much appreciated!!!

Shadow of Dawn

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Neverming I just downloaded EXPERTool ATI to control the fanspeed and now I can use AMD GPU Clock to OC past CCC limits, YAY!!!

P.S. I love google

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1163/Gainward_Expertool_v.4.0_for_ATI.html

You are talking about the Gainward tool right?

There is a trick to use the profile edit with the AMD tool but you had to go in and delete a bunch of clock and memory setting lines from your profile in order for it to work. I got it to work but it was a pain in the arse. This sounds like a much easier way.

Make sure that you run ATItool artifact scanner to check your OCs. I got up to 835 and anything after that was artifact laden.

Shadow of Dawn

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008

Yup i'm using the gainward tool, where do I download the lastest version of ATItool?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am pretty sure I have ATItool 0.27 ...it works well for me but 0.26 freezes up for some reason. I will have to double check when I am home though. I can't tell you where I got it though...I just don't remember. Techpowerup has version 0.26. Maybe it will work for you if not, google 0.27

I got the Gainward tool to work on Vista32 but it doesn't work in XP64. I don't have time to look it up right now but do you know if there is a special XP64 version?

@strangestranger....wtf what?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I did this using 8.7 drivers so no promises it works with any newer version. You alter your profile so that it does not call upon the clock settings and then you save it as a new OC profile. You OC through the AMD tool and then using the ATI ccc task bar icon select your edited profile. It was really touchy and required an exact order of profile selection and ocing but I did get it to work and tested clocks over 790. It is just a pain so I dropped it and settled for the 790 OC.

<Profile>
<Caste name="Graphics">
<Groups>
<Group name="Overdrive5">
<Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
<Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
<Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1263" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1263" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1263" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="80" />
</Feature>
</Group>

So you are taking out these two blocks:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="50000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="75000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="90000" />
</Feature>

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah I am running 0.27 and it works smooth for me right now in Vista 32

Shadow of Dawn

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I downloaded 0.27 but when I try to run it, I get the Kernel driver error. Which i've read can be fixed by disabling checking for signed drivers. But I don't know how to do that, and i'm not sure if its a good idea to do that. Do you know how and if its safe?

Thanks for your help!

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Are you talking about that check box / message that pops up when you first load it? I just updated to 8.8 drivers and ATItool just gave me that message. I pretty much ignored it or checked it or what ever you have to do to get it off your screen. It works fine for me after the 8.8 update...snappy as it should be...no errors and such so far.