Local Disk's

unojuno

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
When I go to put a vid from YT on my desktop I get a message saying there is not enough disk space. I don't get it. I have a 500 gig HD. In My computer it says I have two local disk's. One is (C) and the other is (I) I use to be able to put doz's an doz's of vids in a folder on my D Top. It all seems to want to
go on my Local C disk which is only 4.5 gig. My local I disk has 453 gigs but nothing seems to be going there. It use to work. I do have to say I did do a format. Did I screw something up? And yes, I really don't know my way around a PC. So please be gentle with instructions on what I need to do.
Thanks to anyone in advance for your time. Rick

You need to repartition the drive. The partition that you store video on is used up. The rest of the drive may be a backup or who knows what.
Yes you have 500GB drive, but you can only access part of it. Set up your system so that you have a bigger partition or install a second drive.

unojuno

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

Like I said, i have no idea on how to repartition a drive. All I ever did was format my HD and that's it. And what concerns me is why is it doing that. it never use to. nothing ever went to the small disk. It all went to the 454 gig drive. You see, I might not even be making any sense to all of you who know computers. Sorry for that. At one time every thing I downloaded would work.
I mean I never got a message saying I had no room. So how do I repartition?

Your Desktop is stored in your user profile, which is by default on the C: drive. Save the files manually to the I drive.

When you reformatted and reinstalled Windows at some point you probably ended up creating 2 partitions on your drive. Unless you actually have 2 physical disks in the system you don't have a large and a small drive, you have one drive which you divided into 2 partitions.

If you right-click on My Computer, go to Manage, click on Disk Management, you will see your physical and virtual disks.

unojuno

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

Now why not try that in a lingo I can understand. I have no idea what a partition is let alone set it up to have a bigger one.

unojuno

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

I only have one physical disk. And how do I save files manually to the I drive?
And if I divided it into two partitions then how do I un-divide it? I repeat again, I have no experience with this ***. Can it be given to me in such a way I can grasp what you tell me? I mean from the very 1st click to the last click. And if its too much, then thanks all the same...ciao