1066 corsair dominator not reading on p7n

Mikebrown

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi everyone, I have a P7N Diamond motherboard and 1066 corsair dominator ram 2x2 gb ( 4GB ). the mother board will not reconize that ram in auto mode

So im thinking that to get it to read right i need to get in to over clocking to get it to read right

Problem is i know nothing about this and would like to get the most out of this computer with out ever hitting a even the gray over clocking area.

Safe over clocking if there is such a thing

Intel chip 9650 quad 12 MB 3Ghz ( not extream ) P7N Diamond main board and 1066 corsair dominator 2x2 ( 4 GB ) PC-8500 in single channel.

I do know how to get in to bios but what the setting are and what they mean confuses me.

I had a computer store build this machine and when it came home it was unstable and kept crashing so i reset bios to auto everything burned the hard drive to all one pass zeros and did a hard drive test for bad areas passed test re installed vista updated it etc.. and ram ram tests both sticks passes

now that the computer is stable and running well time to get the ram working

Please help me out i am a noob so please use computer child talk lol

I am running a vista home preminum 32 bit O/S if that matters any

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
You need to look under voltage, and set the memory voltage to what is specified for the RAM (usually around 2.1V). Note you may need to have only 1 stick in to do this (sometimes more crashes). It should be in increments of .25 volts (mine is, however I don't use an Intel chipset).

Mikebrown

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm i went into bios and played around i set the dram to manual from 800 to 1066 and increase dram voltage to 2.1 from auto every thing else is in auto mode save setting re start

Nothing system will not start nothing starts thank god MSI has a un plug re set bios button do that re start and change the dram setting to 800 and 2.1 v

system starts load up screen says 800Mhz ram still but the system seams to be stable will post later on if it is stable

the system is in 800 Mgz mode at 2.1 v is that actully 1066 MGz but reading 800 ? or is it still in 800 and this MSI p7n diamond board just sucks with wanting to use 1066 ram

I have tryed to talk to MSI they are a pain and takes 2 days to respond with useless info

Anyone else have this problem

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Try clearing your BIOS and reset the memory timings manually to 5-5-5-15. If your board offers a command rate or DRAM-rate option or something similar set it to 2T or 2N, whichever applies. Set the RAM voltage to 2.2v. Try this 1 each module individually and test each for 3-5 passes each with www.memtest.org

If this fails to boot, reset the BIOS again and test the each individual module at the defaults using Memtest.