Questions about a budget rig I am about to build

core7884

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I have decided to hold off on the high end system until Nehalem becomes affordable about this time next year, so I am going to build a system in the mean time that will be utilizing my 19" Viewsonic LCD at 1280x1024 resolution. I will continue to use the 32-bit XP Pro as my OS.

My question is what kind of set up would be sufficient to max out every game at 1280x1024 on a 32-bit XP Pro platform? Really just a part time gamer that usually plays MMO type games (Warhammer Online, etc) and occasionally CS:S or UT. Just looking for a system that allows me to play these games smoothly at the resolution I stated above.

Here is what I think I could get away with to achieve this and get the best bang for the buck at the same time:

Video Card - ATI 3850
HD - 250 meg WD 7200 RPM sata
CPU - E7200 or E8400 Core 2 Duo
RAM - 2 GB DDR2 800 or 1066
MOBO - mid to low $ range P35 or P45
CPU Cooler - Artic Freezer Cooler 7

I will OC the CPU and GPU but not to extremes.

Appreciate any insight or advice!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
It will not take until Next Year for Nehalm to be Affordable.
The $284 Chip will be released at Launch.

Now, Price will come down, espcially with DDR3 but for non-entry level systems it will not be excessively prices.

But that setup looks fine.
The E7200 would be fine.

core7884

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Thanks for all the input.

I was thinking along the lines of getting a little better GPU if I can get away with a little less CPU which I think I can in this case.

I think the E7200 will do just fine with an OC around 3 - 3.2 GHZ without tweaking the voltage.

I hear its usually better to spend a little more on the GPU than the CPU if you can.

How much of an upgrade is the 3850 to 4850 performance-wise? Will I notice it on 1280x1024 resolution from a gaming perspective is the question?

Thanks again for all the help here!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Just check out the THG charts to see performance differences.
You might even consider the 4870. Remember it will be easy to move the card to your new system with no loss in your investment.

The case, GPU, and PSU are all things you could buy "final" now and not have to throw away your investment. By the way, what PSU do you plan to use? If you do plan, to resuse the power supply for several years, make sure yoiu get one with the latest connectors so it is easy to connect the newer video cards.