Sign in with
Your question

Does RAID setup improve gaming?

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2010 9:32:57 PM

Does RAID setup improve gaming?

If the CPU can process the data (read) from the hard drive faster than the IDE setup.......correct?
January 10, 2010 12:53:01 AM

a raid setup will significantly reduce load times, but the actual in game experience will not change.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
January 10, 2010 1:04:04 AM

As compared to a fast single SATA drive? Load times will improve, so you wait 5 seconds instead of 7 for a level to load. In game play, no help at all.
RAID was favored more a few years back when drives were quite a bit slower than they are today, and 512 meg was a lot of memory. When you look at the speed of a good SATA II drive, and throw 4 gig of memory into the mix so the game can load an entire level into memory, RAID kind of falls by the wayside as being much of an improvement.
m
l
January 10, 2010 1:11:32 AM

my experience so far is that a raid 0 of 2 or more drives will load a game or maps in a game faster that a single drive of the same type (make and model) , and the only improvement while playing a game is if you do not have enough memory to load the whole map/game and then your machine has to access hard drive for more information while playing.

so if it is important for you to be the first to your favorite vehicle and you more than enough memory .... then a 2 or 3 disk raid 0 will be great for you.

just remember to back-up ANYTHING that you think is important.
m
l
January 10, 2010 6:04:16 AM

So what are the true advantages of RAID setup? Fast reading/ loading time? Easy to restore?

Since it is necessary to back up everything for using RAID, why not just go for a regular IDE and back up everything on an external/ internal 2nd drive? In addition, RAID setup is a bit complicated.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
January 10, 2010 11:03:01 AM

jojodancer said:
So what are the true advantages of RAID setup? Fast reading/ loading time? Easy to restore?

Since it is necessary to back up everything for using RAID, why not just go for a regular IDE and back up everything on an external/ internal 2nd drive? In addition, RAID setup is a bit complicated.

:sarcastic:  I suddenly think that the whole RAID thing is going to be way over your head, forget about it and be happy.
m
l
January 10, 2010 6:47:22 PM

Yes I think so :) 

I am going to keep my 2 WD Black in IDE setup. One runs OS and the other for storage. Additional WD Green for storage also :)  or make it external.
m
l
!