AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE + Koolance Exos II?

panzerkiller13

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Well, I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE and noticing it's running pretty warm (~50C) even when I'm not doing much on the PC,if anything. I have been LOOKING into liquid cooling,and I have finally stumbled upon the Koolances Exos II system, which advertises 700W of heat dissipation. I would like to cool my CPU,GPU (PNY 8800GTS 640MB), and if I can manage it my NB (AMD 790GX). My mobo is a Gigabyte MA-790GP-DS4H that has some pretty decent looking heatsinks on the NB already though, so would that be worth it? I'm trying to find out just HOW MUCH heat my CPU and GPU produces in Watts of heat, would anyone out there happen to know those? Would the Koolance Exos II be a good solution for me? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Buy the Koolance, in less than a year you'll spend a few hundred more to replace it. Koolance has some decent stuff, but their premade rad setups are very weak, mixed metals (alum rads).

Way over priced. You spend a week with the sticky at the top of this forum? WEEK.

Gintok

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

I can only talk from experience but I have been using a similar set up which is liquid cooled. I've been using an older AMD Phenom (9950, still good though) with a 3870 (ATI card) and both are water cooled on a similar Gigabyte board. Initially I only had the processor cooled which saw a significant drop in temperature and noise which was great. I then added my GPU to the cooling loop and I have seen an increase in heat as my liquid cooling system has to work harder to dissipate more heat coming in (both from my GPU and CPU). For me the temps are still very acceptable but I'm really pleased about the noise, or lack thereof (this was my main reason going into LC, yours are probably different though).

Just a note, I'm using a different liquid cooling system, 1 radiator, 2x 120mm fans (intake and exhaust) as well as a reservoir.

Furthermore, 50c~ does seem a bit high for idle. Have you tried reseating the heatsink fan on the processor and checked the fans and airlow in the case?

panzerkiller13

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
As far as AIRFLOW goes, I think I'm on top of that, I have 2X140mm fans on top, 1x120mm in the rear, and one 200mm fan on the side. I haven't tried resetting the fan on top of my heatsink,but I do not believe that is the problem. I CAN remove the side panel and force air directly on to the heatsink with a fan and bring the temperature down a few degrees, but it still dosent make much of a difference with a load.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Buy the Koolance, in less than a year you'll spend a few hundred more to replace it. Koolance has some decent stuff, but their premade rad setups are very weak, mixed metals (alum rads).

Way over priced. You spend a week with the sticky at the top of this forum? WEEK.

Solution

Gintok

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

I echo the thought of spending well on the radiator set up. Given the fact that you intend to cool both GPU and CPU, it's just as important if not more, than the waterblock. And hey, people change sockets every 2-3 years right?

jimchris

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009