Where does Atom rank against the Core 2 Duo and Athlon X2?

I was just wondering, at what GHz would a Core 2 Duo and an Athlon X2 have to be clocked down to in order to have nearly the same power?
11 answers Last reply
More about where atom rank core athlon
  1. LOL interesting question.
  2. Not sure, but a Celeron at 800MHz is about the same as an atom at 1.6GHz IIRC.
  3. You'd need to take them to a clockspeed that you simply can't do with BIOS settings :lol:
  4. Depends on the benchmark. (Starts talking "per cycle" like some fanboy.)
  5. The Atom is simply a very low power CPU meant for use in mobile devices. They typically have very low clocks (I've seen 1.2 GHz Atoms) in comparison. I don't know their efficency per clock cycle, though.
  6. ghmage said:
    Depends on the benchmark. (Starts talking "per cycle" like some fanboy.)

Its an intel - its faster then any amd and more stable and doesnt explode... right? :lol:

BETTER QUESTION - IS IT CLOCK FOR CLOCK FASTER THEN A PENTIUM 4
  7. Off the top of my head here so I'm probably wrong.

I've read that the 1.8ghz Atom is about the same as a 900mhz P3 in rough terms. That indicates that the Atom's instructions per cycle is half of a P3. A P3 does 2 (again off the top of my head, based on the P4 IPC since mhz for mhz they where similar). That would imply the Atom does 1 instruction per cycle. Core 2 65nm does 4 IPC and Core 2 45nm does 5 IPC. Effectively a Atom dual core @ 10ghz would rival a 2ghz Core 2 45nm....

Again, off the top of my head so please no being nasty...
  8. JDocs said:
    Off the top of my head here so I'm probably wrong.

I've read that the 1.8ghz Atom is about the same as a 900mhz P3 in rough terms. That indicates that the Atom's instructions per cycle is half of a P3. A P3 does 2 (again off the top of my head, based on the P4 IPC since mhz for mhz they where similar). That would imply the Atom does 1 instruction per cycle. Core 2 65nm does 4 IPC and Core 2 45nm does 5 IPC. Effectively a Atom dual core @ 10ghz would rival a 2ghz Core 2 45nm....

Again, off the top of my head so please no being nasty...

Correction A p3 like a p4 and does 3 instructions per clock, a p4 is 20% slower than a p3 per clock.
    (I had a p3 Tualatin Celeron running 1.6 (and another one 1.8 for a short time) with a 33 to 36% overclock.
    An Atom does either 1 or 2 per clock, I don't remember anyway this number does not directly give you the IPC (Performance per Clock) there are a lot more variables like pipeline depth, architectural differences, cache. cache speed, busspeed, etc etc

And this is just plain wrong: A Core 2 45nm does not have 5 IPC, a Core2 45nm does the same amount of instructions per clock as an 65 nm, the extra cache (and in rare cases the SSSE3 and SSE4_1) gives it a higher IPC but that is not a number like 4 and 5.

You are over simplifieing IPC and confusion it with I think pipeline width.

As long as there is no bandwith requirement like fast ram the P3 will outperform a slightly higher clocked p4 anyday.
    (Of coarse with the later P4 with sse2 and sse3 and newer software the comparison gets trickeyer.)
  9. I am sure the original single core atoms at 1.6GHz ran similar to a pentium 3 1-1.2GHz and here is a comparison to the dual core 4 thread D510 to a single core 2
    GHz semperon LE-1150 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/110?vs=44&i=2.5.3.4.6.25.26.27.28.29.30.31.32.33.34.35.36.37.38.39.40.41.42.43.44.45.46 the results are up and down but I think the old semperon wins
  10. If you took a crippled Conroe (read: Celeron) core and clocked it down to something like 500 - 600 MHZ, then maybe you could approximate an Atom's performance. I have an Atom NAS on XP and it's slow. Much slower than my old Core Duo setup at the same 1.6GHZ. It runs 'much' cooler, though. YMMV.
  11. Master Exon said:
    I was just wondering, at what GHz would a Core 2 Duo and an Athlon X2 have to be clocked down to in order to have nearly the same power?

Now be careful: By power, are you referring to performance as in speed, or actual power drain as in Wattage?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Power