Sign in with
Your question

New system build, quick questions.....boyah

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2008 3:28:03 PM

This is going to be my first complete system build, over the years the most I've done is a few upgrades to existing computers. I looking into customer computer builders because I did not want to use proprietary parts. At the end of the day building the system I want ends up being over $1000 less than purchasing it.

So skipping to the specs: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6715174

That should be the most up to date wishlist info. Any comments on the config would be appreciated.
One issue I'm having is that the Asus P5e Deluxe has issues with ram over 800mhz. All of the posts that I have read are dated july 08 at the latest and claim there isn't a 4gb kit on the qvl. Last night I checked the qvl and it listed a corsair 1066 4gb kit. So is it logical for me to assume that there was an update making the 1066 ram a non issue (I doubt it, I'm not that lucky)? I like the board a lot and it plays well with the rest of the components but if it comes down to it I'd rather swap it out than have to play with ram for all eternity.

Second issue, not really an issue just confirming something..... will the Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125 work with a q9550, I'm thinking yeah but just want to be sure. I wanted to overclock the processor from stock to around 3.0-3.2ghz. The overclock was the thing I was supposed to be scouring the internet for information on. Thanks in advance for any help.
Related resources
August 13, 2008 4:06:28 PM

Same. Start with quality DDR2-800 like Mushkin that will run at stock on 1.8v.
August 13, 2008 4:17:31 PM

I originally had the ati card in the configuration but I remembered ati cards don't play well with some of the games I play. The one thing I've learned from the problem posts on the p5e deluxe is that it will read 800mhz even if the memory is rated above that. Whether it will accept manually resetting the frequency or not is where the problems lie. Looking at it from another way to overclock a 9550 to 3-3.2ghz would you need 1066 memory?

edit: The majority of games I play don't have an issue with the ATI card its only 1. so the ati card is probably going to be it
August 13, 2008 4:31:23 PM

9550 (8.5x) -> 400*8.5= 3.4Ghz (that's 1:1 with DDR2 800). 800 memory will do fine. I would avoid the Dominator series and stick with the XMS DHX series. Like this or this. If you're spending so much on a top-of-the-line rig, why not go for a better cooler? My suggestions:

TRU
TRUE
Xigmatek S1283

Edit: Good call on going the ATI 48x0 route.
August 13, 2008 5:24:26 PM

The corsair xms was on the qvl so I picked up 8gb of that. Hopefully it won't provide more trouble than the 1066 was bound to. I don't plan on doing sli (I mean crossfire (now that I've switched to the other side) in the near future so 750 watts should be fine. I liked the psu I had before more because it was modular than its output. But the 750w seems to have enough connections. I was trying to match up everything to see if it would all have power connectors and it seems to work out. New specs: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6715174

edit: any additional comments are welcome, I'm still learning.
!