Filemate external SATA enclosure and Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive

chk414

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I had a Filemate external SATA enclosure so I purchased a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB internal eSata drive to put in it. Fit just fine, but when I connect it to a Vista Ultimate 64 or Win XP machine with either the eSata or USB cable neither PC will recognize it. The Vista Ultimate 64 PC doesn't see it all with eSata or USB. The Win XP PC knows the USB device is there, but recognizes it as unknown. This is an un-formatted drive with no drivers in the box. When I went to the Hitachi site I coulnd't find drivers for this drive. Do I need to install drives before I can format it? How do I format it once that is done? If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

chk414

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
It does not show in Disk Management - blue light is on and it is spinning, but does not show in Disk Management on either the Vista Ultimate 64 or Windows XP PC's. The XP machine sees a USB device connected, but says it is unknown.

tl0720

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

i have this same exact problem. What is the resolution. 10-15-10 terry
tl0720@yahoo.com

G

Hello, i have the exact same problem, i have been searching about it, and i found out, that some enclosures are hardly powering 500gb - 1Tb internad drives. I DONT know if this is for sure, i will keep searching about it and i'll let you know. So if this is correct, the problem is not about the OS that you'r running.