I turned off SATA hard drive in BIOS and loaded win 7 how I cant get it back

tim1501

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I turned off SATA hard drive in my Vista lap top BIOS and loaded XP PRO. It worked great. Then 1 1/2 years later I loaded Win 7. How can I get back to SATA? When I change it, it don't see the HD.

Solution
The following technique can be used to switch from IDE-mode drivers to AHCI-mode (the native mode for SATA) in Vista or Windows 7:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Shut down
5) When you restart, go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.
The following technique can be used to switch from IDE-mode drivers to AHCI-mode (the native mode for SATA) in Vista or Windows 7:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Shut down
5) When you restart, go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

Solution