Looking for a CPU cooler for i7 920

andrewbb923

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Alright I just ordered my parts to build my new i7 920 computer. Now I'm thinking of overclocking the system to around 3.3 GHz, and I'm pretty sure I should be looking for a decent CPU cooler. I'm hoping to find the max ratio between performance and silent level...

I'm looking at:
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT Rev. C CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 1366)

Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C. with Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Heat Sink With 2 Noctua Fans

Cooler Master V8 PWM Universal CPU Cooler

All these are decent coolers that I have looked at, and I'm sure they have a reputation of doing its job nicely. My thoughts are:
1. what's the difference with the thermalright ultra-120 extreme and the black edition? Does the black edition do a better job, other than having a badass look?
2. Noctua U12P seems to have the quietest performance among them all, but I'm just not a big fan of that noctua fan color...but if someone is seconding its performance, I will give it more thought.
3. I repeatedly hear comments about CM V8 being an overrated cooler. Is it true? Reviews show that it does a pretty good job for the price.

I'm hoping to hear some advice from anyone who has had experience with any of these coolers. Of course, any additional input or suggestion for another cooler is welcome.

Thanks ahead.

Solution
The difference between the Extreme 1366 and TRUE Black is colour, nothing more. I noticed you've chosen the Rev C of both coolers - good job as they Rev C's base is now flat to better work with the 1366 chips so no real need to lap any more.

Both will need at least 1 120mm fan and grab something with high static air pressure: Noctua NP-12, Gelid 120 Wing or any 120mm fan with 9 blades not 7, or go 38mm instead of 25mm

Same is true for the Megahalems/Mega Shadow - retention bracket has been tweaked but otherwise the Mega Shadow is just black nickel coated.

If you're not pushing your i7 very far then the V8 will do the job, but it's pretty pants to be honest.

The Noctua cooler is good too, and uses the NP-12 fan I mentioned above...

andrewbb923

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

Thanks for the specs. I actually have a very similar system to yours, so thanks for the comment.

For cooling, V8 definitely serves the purpose. One more question: How loud does the V8 go when idle and under load?

andrewbb923

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

Fan is not included with Megahalem, right? so I will have to get my own 120mm fan?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Although V8 is large in size and good in looking, it is not as powerful as it looks like.

Megahalem is the best out there with reasonable price.

Yes, you will have to spend a little more for the fan. Fans are very cheap in the U.S..

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Not loud at all.
I keep my CPU fan at 75% max via the controler that it comes with.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Those coolers with horizontal fins have few issue,
- make sure you can fit them (i have to fold few fins to fit it as MB heatsink was in place)
- airflow is not cooling components on board around cpu so sometime need additional fan to prevent overheating on memory or voltage regulators (my pc was crashing after some extensive use because of this, but once i found reason 2nd 12cm fan easily fixed that) .

leo2kp

Distinguished
I have the Thermalright Ultra 120 True Black and it's been amazing. I have a 120MM Cooler Master 109CFM case fan on it and it keeps things nice and cold. After the F9e BIOS (to fix incorrect temp readings), I'm showing around 33C at idle. Older BIOS readings showed 25C idle (I wish they were right lol). Ambient is usually around 60F.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
The difference between the Extreme 1366 and TRUE Black is colour, nothing more. I noticed you've chosen the Rev C of both coolers - good job as they Rev C's base is now flat to better work with the 1366 chips so no real need to lap any more.

Both will need at least 1 120mm fan and grab something with high static air pressure: Noctua NP-12, Gelid 120 Wing or any 120mm fan with 9 blades not 7, or go 38mm instead of 25mm

Same is true for the Megahalems/Mega Shadow - retention bracket has been tweaked but otherwise the Mega Shadow is just black nickel coated.

If you're not pushing your i7 very far then the V8 will do the job, but it's pretty pants to be honest.

The Noctua cooler is good too, and uses the NP-12 fan I mentioned above. Given your overclock, consider a Thermolab Baram or Scythe Mugen 2.

Personally I'd go with the TRUE Black or Mega Shadow, push-pull with a pair of 120mm fans and crank the i7 up to 3.8GHZ or 4GHZ, or push to 4.2GHz if you get a good chip.

And to be entirely honest, the i7 975 runs about 3.3GHz at stock and you can just about get away with the Intel stock cooler, so unless you're pushing your overclock you won't need anything too crazy like all my suggestions!

Solution

gadgeteer123

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I am in a veyr similair situation but i also plan on doing a peltier setup and i have done my research, use a Thor's Hammer S126384 heatsink, there built good enough to run a Intel i7 without any fans on it, so all u need are 1-2 130+cfm fans on the heatsink and you will have no worrys. but fans with that high of flow would eb kind of expensive but u won't have apeltier so 80cfm should be good...

TRENDING THREADS