metin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
I was thinking about buying this computer for my gaming needs.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9032316&st=dx+4710-05&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218010533213
I saw that the gfx card it comes with isn't all that good and I want to buy a nVIDIA 9800GT for this computer, but are there any restrictions to this?
And finally, is this computer a good one?
I don't know much about OC'ing and besides that, I think I read that Gateways cannot be OC'd becayse of BIOS being locked.
Can anyone tell me what they think of this computer?
If theres anything else you can recommend, it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for any help

Edit: If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

Stiffex

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Why buy a pc that you dont know much about like what mobo is in it and you usually find these off the shelf jobs cut corners with cheap ram, cheap psu, etc.
You already know the gfx isnt up to much and you can pick up a Q6600 up for peanuts these days so why not select and buy your own parts and build yourself a nice pc, its not that difficult and theres plenty of guides on here and elsewhere.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
This computer would be a very poor performer for gaming. I think if you ask the opinions of most people in this forum they are going to tell you to build your own. It's obvious you want a gaming PC on the cheap. Simply put the PC you linked can not even be considered a "gaming PC" since it uses integrated graphics. The CPU it uses is not bad and it has plenty of RAM but unfortunately the most important component in something you are gong to game with is the video card and that one does not even contain one.

metin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Ok it looks like I'm going to have to build my own pc if I want a gaming rig according to the replies I've been getting. My only problem is that I don't trust buying parts off the internet that cost this much; and I don't know how to put anything together.
thanks for the replies