Sign in with
Your question

USB Port Destroys Devices

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2010 8:54:28 PM

Hello,

I have a strange situation. I built my computer from the ground up with a asus 750i sli motherboard. I was never able to get the front USB ports working, but I didnt think anything of it, only a minor inconvenience.
The other day, however, my friend plugged his 1TB external hard drive into the front USB port thinking it would work, and of course it didnt. Now the drive wont work on any usb port on any computer. On a hunch, I tried the front USB port with two good USB thumb drives. Both worked fine, but after plugging them in they dont work at all.
My question is twofold.
1. Can I fix this? if so how?
2. Can I fix my/my friends drives? if so how?

Note: that none of the drives are visible in the windows device manager, nor are they visible from /dev directory under debian linux, its almost as though they are not connected.

Thanks a lot,
Max Ehrlich
mehrlich@rutgers.edu
January 10, 2010 9:25:03 PM

I've seen cases that were just plain wired wrong. I lost motherboard sound on a system I built, because the front sound jacks were wired wrong. I suggest you unplug your front usb so this doesn't happen again.

On some motherboards, the firewire header looks just like a usb header. Make sure you don't have the usb cable plugged into the firewire header.
m
l
January 11, 2010 12:06:10 AM

Hello,

Quote:
On some motherboards, the firewire header looks just like a usb header. Make sure you don't have the usb cable plugged into the firewire header.

This was actually a concern of mine, does anyone know if this would cause the problem? I checked the motherboard manual and the nvidia 750i sli has only one extra USB header, the manual says its in the same place as the IEEE 1375 header. Could this be a misprint in the manual? Or does anyone know if the 750 has a combination USB/IEEE 1375 header?
m
l
!