Need help overclocking i5-750 on Asus P7P55D

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Okay. So I bought this computer maybe 2-3 weeks ago now. It's been running great, no problems. However, I have become interested in overclocking my computer. I have never done it before but know a good amount about other computer areas and can figure things our fairly quickly. I'm just worried that I might hurt my precious computer if I do it incorrectly!

That said, I've been looking around for guides to help overclock, but most seem to be people showing off how many ghz they got :kaola:

I tried increasing some sort of number (I forget which one now) by 10 and then another 10, running a stress test each time. After the first increase the CPU temp was 73 or something. After the second it was 78 like 5 minutes into the 15 minute test and I was sure if that was okay or not so I set it back to default. Well, now I'm back, looking for PRO advice!

I just have the stock cooler that came with the i5-750. Oh, I don't know if it matters or not, but here is my ram: linklinklink

2.6 just seems a little slow! I'm not trying to shoot for 4 or anything, but just some sort of reasonable increase which won't cause any instability for my system.

Thank you!

Google is your friend: try "overclock P7P55D" and visit some of the sites that come up. You will likely need an after market cpu heatsink/fan, see what the reviewers were using - they usually list the specific hardware in their test rigs. And you may get lucky and find reviews with screenshots of the BIOS settings. Be prepared to invest some time and thought in this so you won't hurt your computer/HW. Be methodical and patient at every step. Get careless or tired, and you'll be shopping for some new parts.

Read your mobo manual, especially regarding your BIOS settings and POST codes. Visit Intel's site and pull up the specs for your cpu, especially the temps and volts limits. Make sure your case is well-ventiliated (assuming your are on air, not water-cooling), at least a couple of case fans with unobstructed air-flow: manage your internal cables and wires so they do not block the airflow.

Then download some monitoring/testing softare for your operating system, e.g., Memtest86+, Stability/Burn-in software, Prime95 for 4 cores), Core Temp, CPU-Z, and maybe GPU-Z. There are others, and lots of folks have lots of opinions - read those reviews!

Then try some of the OC settings in the reviews yourself - double-check your settings/values (I write mine down, so if they don't work, I won't waste time trying those settings again). If it doesn't POST, or if you get a BSOD (assuming windows), you'll have to clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS, and then enter different values in the BIOS and try again. When it boots through the POST codes to FF, it'll try to boot the operating system. When I get to this point, I usually set the BIOS to boot the computer to a USB stick, CD, or some other HW/media with Memtest86+ on it, to test the memory stablity at those BIOS settings. When your settings POST and successfully pass Memtest86+, then restart. When you get to the operating system, do some stability tests. If it won't boot the operating system or BSODs, clear the CMOS, reset the BIOS, and try some other BIOS settings. At this point, increasing the voltages a little may give the machine enough power to boot into the operating sytem. When the machine passes the stability tests, e.g, Prime95, you have successfully OC'd!

LTH80

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

recommended to me was the Coolermaster hyper 212 plus. It seems like alot of ppl use that one.
I want to learn about oc'ing my i5/p7p55d system as well but i haven't tried it yet so can't comment how well the hyper 212 actually works.

I can tell u that right now, according to coretemp my temps are 19C to 27C at idle, and 40C to 50C under load.
THat's with the Coolermaster HAF 922 case.