Error press <f4> change is expected

ramesh3278

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
i am getting error while booting IBM machine,error is
warning! the boot sector has been changed if u enabled virus detection then this change is expected. If not, then a boot sector virus may be present.
You should run virus identification program to determine if your system is infected.
press <f4> change is expected
press <f9> change is not expected
keybord gets disabled and
after this system does not detect harddisk and does not boot.

you can try the repair install, see THIS forum, sixth post from the top for the directions.
This might work, but you need an XP installation disk.
You can also have a computer store do it for you, if you do not have the stomach to try the following:

you can take the drive out, install it as a second drive on a working computer. Then drag your personal files off the bad drive and make a backup to thumb drive, DVD etc...
Replace the bad drive, reformat entire disk, reinstall operating system. Now you can reinstall your files from the backup, and your other software.

MarkD_04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Hellow Soundguruman,

I have this same exact problem on an IBM desktop. Upon start up, I get a black screen with white lettering saying: "Warning! The boot sector has been changed...." same exact wording as the gentleman who started this thread.

In your reply, you suggested running a repair from the Xp start up disk. I have that disk...are you referring to Windows Repair (which is an option one is given when one runs that installation CD)? If so, then I am good to go and will try that. Otherwise, I can do the complete reinstall...I just hope that I don't have to go to that length to resolve the problem.

So please, if you would, elaborate on this "repair" suggestion. I tried looking for the posting in the forum that you referred to but it escaped me (I couldn't find it).

Much thanks,

Mark D.