Which Motherboard is best?

fasteddie

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hi folks, first time poster in this forum.

I've come to the crossroads of digital darkroom processing and must decide what PC motherboard/cpu are going to best serve me in the future. This new system will be used exclusively for Photo Editing (no gaming). I'm planning on upgrading to Windows Vista 64/PS4 and I'll need a faster, more powerful PC system that allows me expandable RAM (minimum 8 gigs but expandable up to 32 gigs). I'll also be using a dual monitor system so I'll need a motherboard that supports two video cards. What would you recommend I get?

Thanks in advance!.
Ed

Newegg sells a Tyan s2912g2nr opteron server board for $59.99 closeout that might work for you. At this price, I recommend you get 2 while you can. Sanmicro.com sells the quad core 2346 (socket 1207) for only $99 (heatsink extra). You can run with one or two quads. An Intel setup with xeon cpus is considerably more. Only negative is you'll have to flash the motherboard bios with a regular opteron to use the quad. Tyan recommends "Biosman" to exchange bios chips or flash it for you, if you don't want to buy a regular opteron. The regular opteron 1207 actually may cost more. If you don't need up to 32 megs of memory, then a regular Intel quad setup will work fine. Read the newegg customer reviews and decide if it will work for you.

TRENDING THREADS