Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to recover data when one hard drive crashes in a RAID 5 Arrary?

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2010 11:15:04 PM

How do you recover the data from a RAID 5 array when 1 of the disks has crashed?

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 11, 2010 12:45:59 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Just install another disk to replace the crashed disk, got to disk manager, set online the disk, convert to dinamic, right click on the other 2 disk of the RAID array and select repair disk.
January 11, 2010 1:18:12 AM

Saint19, you're assuming this was done using the Windows Disk Manager, the last way anyone should do this.

Pawn3D, How is the RAID 5 set up? I'll assume someone else set this up for you, and this person fell off the edge of the earth... How many drives and are you using a stand alone controller?
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2010 8:07:33 AM

marcellis22 said:
Saint19, you're assuming this was done using the Windows Disk Manager, the last way anyone should do this.

Pawn3D, How is the RAID 5 set up? I'll assume someone else set this up for you, and this person fell off the edge of the earth... How many drives and are you using a stand alone controller?

Hi Saint,

It was done in Vista Ultimate with (4) WD5000AAKS 500GB hard drives. The motherboard is an nForce 680i SLI and the pin number is 122-ck-nf68-a1. Upon startup, our computer prompts us with this error:

m
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2010 12:10:51 PM

Pawn3D

Are you sure you have 1 bad drive. It is possible that an error occured on one of the drive but not necessarily a hardware failure. Such error can be cleared(after you read/understand the nature) on the RAID utilities/tools.

I had the same issue before but my controller is from Intel. It was a case of data-transfer type error that i had to clear.

Same as you have right now. The error was FLAG at BIOS Level(during start-up). I clear it using the RAID utilities/tools from Intel.

Just for you to consider.
m
l
January 21, 2010 6:04:56 AM

Best answer selected by pawn3d.
m
l
!