Computer Problem update

OK, I looked over my freind's machine last night.

The problem doesn't appear net-card related. I hooked in the wireless
networking box and it still locked up. I tried setting up a shared folder
on the machine and seeing if I could access it after the computer froze. I
couldn't.

I tried replacing memeory with memory from my machine that works fine. No
change.

Life got interesting when I booted CoH in Safe Mode, absolute minimal
settings: 800x600 resloution, low textures, the works. That configuration
was stable. I took a character through a routine door mission successfully.
In unsuccessful tests, I didn't get through two or three fights before the
machine froze.

I found that the machine would freeze if World Detail or Character Detail
was at 100% (either by itself) or if textures were set to high.

I think that points an accusing finger at the video card.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 32 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 26 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Pulsar Staraven (F), Level 18 Controller (Grav/Rad), Liberty
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Lemon Tree (F), Level 16 Scrapper (Spine/Invuln), Liberty
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph
Faraday Facade (F), Level 14 Controller (Illusion/Forcefield), Justice

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> I think that points an accusing finger at the video card.

With this game (and most other SOTA games), it's always the video card. My
Nvidia 4x00 card, fast enough for everything else including Issue 1, choked
on Issue 2. My 6800GT hasn't choked... yet.

I don't think you would have overlooked it, but...current drivers on that
card?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>> I think that points an accusing finger at the video card.
>
> With this game (and most other SOTA games), it's always the video card. My
> Nvidia 4x00 card, fast enough for everything else including Issue 1,
> choked
> on Issue 2. My 6800GT hasn't choked... yet.
>
> I don't think you would have overlooked it, but...current drivers on that
> card?

Yep.

When Issue 5 came out, CoH started saying the drivers were too old.

When I reinstalled XP, I installed using that download file.

Unless that download file is corrupted in some wierd wonderful way, it ain't
the drivers.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 32 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 26 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Pulsar Staraven (F), Level 18 Controller (Grav/Rad), Liberty
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Lemon Tree (F), Level 17 Scrapper (Spine/Invuln), Liberty