What is 4GB - 32bit & 8GB - 64bit of memory?

I never heard of this, a motherboards specifications rates that it supports:

4GB - 32bit
8GB - 64bit

Does this mean that there are a different type of memory?
6 answers Last reply
More about what 32bit 64bit memory
  1. Well...a 32-bit system can only employ up to 4GB of RAM, whereas a 64-bit system hypothetically can employ up to 128 GB (I heard rumors of more).

I think in terms of a MOBO this would mean that there are either 2 or 4 channels on the MOBO. with a 32-bit system you can have 4-1gb sticks, running in dual channel (two sets). Or 2-2gb sticks, if there are only two channels.

If it is a 64-bit system, the MOBO manufacturer is implying that the MOBO is only rated for 4-2bg sticks (most likely).

Does that make any sense?
  2. What defines 32 or 64 bit? My current OS is Windows Vista home premium. I'm thinking of trying Debian for Linux.
  3. Well operating systems are either based off of 32-bit or 64-bit architecture, which defines how they handle information - the number of bits in each pass (essentially). Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 all have 32 and 64-bit versions. The bit-size is defined by the OS manufacturer - and then there is essentially two versions of the OS, one in 32-bit and one in 64-bit. The Windows 7 DVD will have both 32 and 64-bit versions on the same DVD, and you get to choose which you want to install.

I am not sure how it worked for Windows Vista, but with XP you had to buy a separate installation CD for the 64-bit version, and the default (masses) version was 32-bit.

I am not familiar with Debian, but here is some information regarding the 64-bit version. So it appears that there is both a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Debian.

Edit: Links always help: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/534
  4. @OP: Please list full specs.
  5. In the W7 specs, I saw that Pro and Ultimate (Enterprise) can handle 192GB of memory. One would have to win the lotto to buy that load of RAM.
  6. It means that a 32Bit Operating System supports up to 4Gb and a 64Bit Operating System Supports 8GB or More!
    There is no difference between the ram,There is only difference between the amound of ram and the bits!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Motherboards Overclocking