Sign in with
Your question

Ram Upgrade Blue Screen

Last response: in Memory
November 28, 2008 12:10:55 AM

Hi guys...
Couple of weeks ago I bought 2 (1gb 200 - PIN SODIMM 128Mx64 DDR) from Crucial to upgrade my 512mb DDR 333MHz.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P35 S611 Windows XP home edition..
When I put both 1gb in both slots in the laptop it turned on fine and everything but after a minute the blue screen appeared saying that maybe I should try updating bios and then it said that it was dumping my memory.
I tried putting one of the 1gb on alone and it was fine.
I replaced the 1gb and it was fine so I guess the memory cards are ok.
When I put both cards inside I opened Bios and it recognized 2gb.
So yea I don't know why the blue screen is popping up with the 2gb of ram. Somebody please help..
November 28, 2008 12:26:26 AM

Umm there's a lot of links that I can download from www.memtest.org. Which one am I supposed to download?
Related resources
December 7, 2008 7:29:39 PM

I am having EXACTLY the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite L30-103 (PSL33E).

Wanted to upgrade from 2 x 512 to 2 x 1024MB (Samsung).

I'm going from PC2-4200 to PC2-5300 but this shouldn't be a problem as the laptop supports 533mhz and the modules themselves are backwards compatible and will just run slower if even if the laptop doesn't support the full speed.

What's more, the new 1GB modules were taken from another laptop (IBM) where they have been running problem free for 6 months...so I know there is nothing wrong with the memory.

I am running the latest version 3.10 of the BIOS and Windows XP SP3.

Initially installation seemed to go fine but then sometimes I get blue screen straight before OS load, and otherwise after a few minutes of using the machine. If it does manage to boot into XP it seems to behave stragely as well and invariably ends up crashing with a blue screen.

Removing one module returns the laptop to normal and it runs perfectly again!!

Anyone know what is going on here as I know the laptop supports this memory and this capacity???
December 8, 2008 11:11:16 AM

Did you use ESD protection when installing the ram if not you may have damaged/destroyed one of the chip's all it takes is one chip on the stick to be effected to cause a hole load of problems.
September 10, 2009 2:48:09 AM

felipemia89 said:
Hi guys...
Couple of weeks ago I bought 2 (1gb 200 - PIN SODIMM 128Mx64 DDR) from Crucial to upgrade my 512mb DDR 333MHz.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P35 S611 Windows XP home edition..
When I put both 1gb in both slots in the laptop it turned on fine and everything but after a minute the blue screen appeared saying that maybe I should try updating bios and then it said that it was dumping my memory.
I tried putting one of the 1gb on alone and it was fine.
I replaced the 1gb and it was fine so I guess the memory cards are ok.
When I put both cards inside I opened Bios and it recognized 2gb.
So yea I don't know why the blue screen is popping up with the 2gb of ram. Somebody please help..

Hey there, did you ever find out the problem?

I just got a P35-S611 with 2x 1GB RAM and it also does BSOD with both sticks in, But with only 1 stick it works fine

The RAM I have is also Crucial brand (and the laptop detects both sticks OK)

Strange thing was I ran Memtest for 2hrs, no errors, yet windows will BSOD in about 10 minutes
!