Sign in with
Your question

Why does everyone call mobo's a couple years old, not meant for gaming

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2008 12:14:12 AM

When I built my computer 2 years ago, I used a ASUS P5NSLI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . At the time it was pretty popular for gaming. I started to get blue screens and random restarts about 6 months later. I kept thinking it was many things and didn't send it in. Well my warranty is gone now and I need to replace it because I have pretty much changed everything besides my cpu and mobo. My computer still doesn't beep on 1/3 of the time, blue screens, random resets loading windows/desktop. I am pretty fed up with it and I need to replace it.

I am using DDR667 4GB. I have one 8800gt 512mb, pci-e. I am looking for the easiest, cheapest way to this. Every mobo I find that uses DDR667, all the comments, the people are saying "okay motherboard for general use, not meant for gaming", "don't get this for gaming, just surfing". I am beginning to think these people are full of it, and now think just because it is under $75, it can't run games well. and most of the motherboards have even faster FSB's than mine. I game btw, and it runs fine. All the new games, maxed out at 1600x1200. Before my 8800gt died on me. I wont need SLI either. I haven't used it and don't plan on it

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8ghz (EDIT: Not a celeron)
PSU: 750w
GPU: 8800gt 512
RAM: 4GB DDR667
MB: Asus P5NSLI ATX

So are these cheaper motherboards going to perform better than my asus? (minus the defect)

What do you think I should do. I really don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want my system to perform with no random resets/errors.

EDIT: Link to mb's - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

November 28, 2008 12:18:25 AM

links to mobo's your looking at?
November 28, 2008 12:31:32 AM

k, added.
Related resources
November 28, 2008 5:37:05 AM

anyone? i guess i could just try one of them and see what happens. i cant see them really being worse, since the stats seem better. its just im not sure how much a difference the components on the board make
November 28, 2008 6:12:21 AM

HUGE difference.

Are you planning on overclocking?

Do you want to upgrade your CPU in the next year?

The boards listed that were cheap used really crappy chipsets on the motherboard, some didn't even support all 16 lanes on the PCIE (only 4x). YOU get what you pay for.

If you are looking for a really cheap board ($50 range):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I don't recommend the above board except as an alternative to any of the boards you listed.

The following board is a bit more pricey, but should get you by for a while. Its an alright brand with a modern chipset.

This is after a brief look. Based on the criteria in your link I believe you are limiting your search to only motherboards that MAX out DDR2 support at 667. Anything supporting speeds higher then 667 will also support your 667. Also you can get a PCIe 2.0 16X, or a 1.0 one, its also backwards compatible.

Good luck finding your new board
November 28, 2008 6:15:08 AM

What's your budget?
November 28, 2008 6:38:41 AM

Under $100. Since I am in the process of moving, I can't buy a new mb,cpu and ram right now, as it would cost to much. I just want to replace my mb with something equal to it or better for not much money since mine doesn't work, however, I am worried that ill be making a mistake. He made a good point on the 16x lanes, I would want all of those, I think my current mb would have that, its just 8x while using SLI and 16x in single, something I need to watch out for.. I also feel like my cpu and ram are fine and would be wasting them when I dont feel I need to replace them just yet. I could get a mb and upgrade later, I just know how computer gear goes and it will get outdated by the time I get a new cpu and ram for it.
November 28, 2008 6:39:40 AM

I really dont plan on upgrading within a year because I dont feel that my cpu or ram are holding me back yet. And I do not ever really feel the need to overclock, i never have. I also do own a pci express 2.0 video card, so getting a mb with that, if it isnt much more would be nice. That MSI looks pretty good for the money. In 2-3 years I might replace the cpu,mb,ram. Or until they start slowing my frame rate in future games or something.
November 28, 2008 7:19:55 AM

Usually when people say a motherboard is not meant for gaming. This usually means the motherboard has limited settings that can affect overclock. This doesn't mean it's performance is lower than other motherboards.
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2008 8:05:59 AM

Get something from gigabyte or asus based on the 3 or 4 series intel chipsets - some will allow you to push that 1.8 to ~3ghz if your lucky which will bring that baby back into todays standards etc, its not a bad system.

Nvidia chipsets ask for trouble they just never seem solid and reliable.
November 28, 2008 9:46:43 AM

The Asus habitat87 linked to is pretty nice as well. I would take it over the MSI if you don't like to deal with rebates. Another thing to consider is the connector layouts on the two boards. The MSI has a serial and parallel port connection, the ASUS has two more USB ports and an S/PDIF Out. Both only have 1 PATA channel so if you have old HDDs and optical disk drives you may be in for a challenge. Two PATA channels are rare, but if you really need it here is a link to a board with two:
Same NB as your dying board, different manufacturer. Jetway is a no name so it may be kinda risky buying from them.

@ Habitat87: As long as he is not running a lot of processed in the background he may be fine with his conroe. It is a core 2 architecture, just not a core 2 duo <-that part dictates the number of cores). Celerons aren't the trash they once were, they are just more on the low side of things.

Did you see the boards he linked to? They first twos chipsets are made by VIA and SIS, nuff said.
Can you imagine the heat from a video card rising towards the components on one of those boards? He has an 8800GT, 105W of power consumed at full load, theoretically it could pull a full 75W from the 16x PCIe slot in the mobo. Would you trust a second rate manufacturer on a second rate chipset to be able to stably provide that?
November 28, 2008 7:17:34 PM

Opps, I should have noticed this.. I do not own a celeron.

I linked you all the wrong processor. I just did a search for a Conroe 1.8ghz and totally missed the celeron in the name title. I do have a Core 2 Duo, NOT the celeron version.

Sorry for the confusion, but I do not have the celeron processor, I got my intel conroe when core 2 duo was still new. Yes it is a true core 2 duo processor.. -> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

lol hopefully this can dismiss some of your arguments on when I should replace the processor.

again sorry for the mix up. I should of seen the celeron in the title.
November 28, 2008 7:51:44 PM

My current board is asus, the one I want to take a hammer to. But i know its not a bad name and I could try a new one I suppose.. And I would like to stay away from all nforce chipsets for now on. I've never had a problem with Intel.

Asus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MSI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those both seem pretty similar, same chipsets and FSB. I am considering one of these. The gigabyte was decent for the money, however it only has 2 DIMM slots and I do own 4x 1GB sticks of 667. And i would rather spend the cash and get the better intel chipset.

hmm, from my personal experience, I would not want another ASUS but what do you think? There is always the slim chance that my motherboard is not broken, but i'm sure enough to replace it. Ive unplugged about everything, i used to think it was my sata drive causing the errors/currupted files, random crashes. But even after pulling it, it was still crashing. This is over a course of a couple years of me replacing stuff.
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2008 5:05:32 AM

iamcims said:
My current board is asus, the one I want to take a hammer to. But i know its not a bad name and I could try a new one I suppose.. And I would like to stay away from all nforce chipsets for now on. I've never had a problem with Intel.

Asus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MSI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those both seem pretty similar, same chipsets and FSB. I am considering one of these. The gigabyte was decent for the money, however it only has 2 DIMM slots and I do own 4x 1GB sticks of 667. And i would rather spend the cash and get the better intel chipset.

hmm, from my personal experience, I would not want another ASUS but what do you think? There is always the slim chance that my motherboard is not broken, but i'm sure enough to replace it. Ive unplugged about everything, i used to think it was my sata drive causing the errors/currupted files, random crashes. But even after pulling it, it was still crashing. This is over a course of a couple years of me replacing stuff.

Haha you were dealing with an Nvidia chipset, where as these are Intel chipsets - the best chipsets in the world, and i dont know why people even think of buying MSI its beyond me, geez.
November 29, 2008 6:29:01 AM

I pulled my sata hard drive which I have been using for xp. I installed xp on a old 40gig IDE and the almost appears to fix the problem, there is a small chance that if you arnt patient while the desktop is first loading and click on stuff that it might reboot. other than that it's fixed, I am playing World of warcraft at 100% max settings, 16x everything, etc, with around 30-60fps while questing. It runs fine once windows loads. Does this sound like a chipset problem? To hard to tell?

So im not sure, I might still replace the mb because it isnt right, I dont know what else it would be.

But I will get that asus if I do.

Thanks for the advice
November 29, 2008 6:35:50 AM

First off there is nothing wrong with MSI, lets get that straight.

Secondly, a P35 or P43/45 will suit you well, the ones you linked 3 post above are fine. Your DDR2-667 will work fine in any DDR2 board, so dont worry about that either.
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2008 10:59:22 PM

iamcims said:
I pulled my sata hard drive which I have been using for xp. I installed xp on a old 40gig IDE and the almost appears to fix the problem, there is a small chance that if you arnt patient while the desktop is first loading and click on stuff that it might reboot. other than that it's fixed, I am playing World of warcraft at 100% max settings, 16x everything, etc, with around 30-60fps while questing. It runs fine once windows loads. Does this sound like a chipset problem? To hard to tell?

So im not sure, I might still replace the mb because it isnt right, I dont know what else it would be.

But I will get that asus if I do.

Thanks for the advice

heh nvidia ide/sata drivers seem a common cause of issues - iv had better luck with stock microsoft drivers for ide/sata and nvidia drivers for everything else required (SMB, LAN Bus, Lan Chip, video etc), but still - when had Intel ever had such an issue?

Just remember the golden rule for stability - SET EVERYTHING IN THE BIOS MANUALLY! :)  force ram to 1:1 with default timings (manually set) at 1.8 or even 1.9v, etc and disable what you dont need/use.

My god MSI, sounds like you dont remember history or have never delt with them, even in the Pentium 2/3 days they were rubbish - BX based boards with dead IDE channels (WTF! - never seen any bx board with issues like that), the Nasty Slocket adapter "MS6905 MASTER" - "supports coppermine" my a$$, cd burners that will burn one cd and not another till a whole system restart (well documented), my old ti4200 8x with a massive cooler that simply overheats, yet when replaced with a cooler not even half the size fixes the issues, crappy chipset fans - M S I I S S H I T

btw that 'patient' thing with computers is BS - either its stable, or its not - computers should be able to handle 100%, otherwise they should be binned and replaced etc

We should all be familiar with testing tools not guess work - memtest, prime95/orthos, atitool, western digital diag tools, bst etc - thats all you need most of the time to test stuff, apart from PSU's (especially if they suffer cold start issues etc)
November 30, 2008 11:13:33 PM

Ive had 3 MSI motherboards and 2 MSI video cards with no problems. I think you are going out of your way with this, not to mention you are talking about stuff from years and years ago. Pentium 2...Pentium 3...BX Mobos...thats like what...1997...2002? I could easily dig up as much dirt on ASUS or what not if I felt I needed to.

It is what it is.
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2008 1:09:28 AM

spathotan said:
Ive had 3 MSI motherboards and 2 MSI video cards with no problems. I think you are going out of your way with this, not to mention you are talking about stuff from years and years ago. Pentium 2...Pentium 3...BX Mobos...thats like what...1997...2002? I could easily dig up as much dirt on ASUS or what not if I felt I needed to.

It is what it is.

I go back that far because thats the last times i bothered with such rubbish.

If there so good then may i ask why you are using HIS and ASUS products rather then MSI products in your system?
!