Question out the Geforce 260 fan

Chaos Marine

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
A little while ago I got a BSOD after a roughly six or seven hour stint in Arkham Asylum and I figure it was the GPU overheating (The screen freezes and the last two seconds of sound is looped and it remains as thus for several seconds till I get the BSOD).

A friend suggested that I crank the fan to 100% and says that there's nothing really bad that can happen from that so I'm curious to know, is there? The fan's not going to crap out on me in a few weeks or anything like that?

No, I have a GTX 260 as well and when I game I raise the fan speed to 60% just to make sure the temps do not exceed 60c/65c, even thou the max temp is alot higher I like to keep my card pretty cool.

Normally your 260 should not BSOD with the fan on auto, this can be caused by poor airflow in your case, ambient temps , etc....

The fan will not crap out on you regardless if you crank up the speed or leave it on auto. If it does ever fail then you can call the manufacturer and get a replacememt if it is still under warranty.

I have never had a fan fail on me due to adjusting it's speed, hope this helps....

TRENDING THREADS