Sign in with
Your question

One Quick Question

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2008 1:55:30 PM

I need to know if the surface im about to build my new computer on is ok. I have all my parts in my computer room on the ground which is carpet i have the anti static wrist strap and a plug to put the psu to ground my case. Is it ok to work on the carpet in the room. Im also wearing just a t shirt and gym shorts is that ok. This may sound noobish to some of you but i don't know much.

More about : quick question

August 14, 2008 2:17:14 PM

just be careful...you dont want to cause any static electricity with your carpet...as long as the parts are resting on the anti static bags they come with, you should be fine...
August 14, 2008 2:27:58 PM

hold all components on there outer edges and try your best not to touch any of the IC's. Oh and try not to rub a ballon on your t-shirt while wearing rubber soles and then touch your components.
Related resources
August 14, 2008 2:39:06 PM

The carpet is not the best surface. Hard floor is better, if it's not available then oh well.
August 14, 2008 2:48:11 PM

just clear off your kitchen table
August 14, 2008 3:30:52 PM

cal8949 said:
just clear off your kitchen table

I agree!

If you MUST work on the carpet try to remove any static build up before touching your components.. Yes i know you have a wrist band, but one can never be too careful.
August 14, 2008 4:00:06 PM

ok im working out in my hallway because it is hardwood
August 14, 2008 4:00:58 PM

Be very,very,careful on a carpet,sitting on the carpet you are a conductor,put on some clothes and shoes preferably rubber soled,just moving against the carpet can and will build up a static charge, OR,,, if you must/have to sit on the carpet,,spread some newspaper or something underneath you and your components,at no time must your body come into contact/brush/rub,,on the carpet,,especially if your parts are new you can plug in your psu leaving it unconnected to the mobo until you are ready and finished installing everything then touching the case will ground you but the above regarding isolation from the carpet still applies,REMEMBER you can never be too careful with new components once they have been burned in then it's no'ther can o'worms...:>)
August 14, 2008 4:35:41 PM

Anti static wrist belt with a good connection should be OK. Just be sure to take a little breaks and before get back to work, touch to something that is connected into ground (0) (will purge static energy).

But to be sure, better be naked standing with toes in the kitchen table and use shoulder-long rubber gloves, latex high-heels and Batman hood. Just gotta watch out for Joker with a sweater! lol

Hows ya doing man, anyway? ...with new computer.
August 14, 2008 6:00:53 PM

horrible nothing is going right the Heatsink is being a pain and now for some reason my GFX card is not sitting right against the expansion slot on the case
August 14, 2008 6:36:29 PM

Chakal said:
But to be sure, better be naked standing with toes in the kitchen table and use shoulder-long rubber gloves, latex high-heels and Batman hood. Just gotta watch out for Joker with a sweater! lol

i'm pretty sure this is the only way of making sure you don't fry your new components... there was an article here on tom's somewhere...
!