UPS power system which brand??

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a (UPS power system) for my computer, i'm a PC musican who will be recording a lot of audio data in to a DAW and seriously dont need the PC to shut down in the process due to an electrical cut out. I'm typically looking for a good brand, any suggestions..

Thanks
Musicmad
6 answers Last reply
More about power system brand
  1. APC are good. Make sure you get AVR (automatic voltage regulation). Some have only under voltage regulation, the better ones have under and over voltage regulation.
    A UPS can be used to provide uninterrupted power to equipment for 1–20 minutes until a generator can be turned on or utility power is restored
  2. APC FTW!
  3. I have been very satisfied with APC. I have the XS-1500 unit which is probably obsolete by now. A momentary power glitch keeps your PC running uninterrupted. It is very comforting to have this available if you are doing a bios update. You can get a small system that gives you just a few minutes so that you can stop what you are doing and shut down gracefully. Or you can spend more and get enough capacity to run for a couple of hours.
  4. For anything other than very basic cheap battery-backup, there's really only APC. A decent UPS can help your hardware by 'cleaning' the power - maintaining a constant voltage and removing spikes. Our office regularly drops as low as 204v (we are in the UK and should be running 230-240v).

One thing I would say though as you are a musician - there's a heavy amount of interferance from some UPS devices so be careful on placement. My home connecton went up from 800kbits to 1400kbits just from moving the APC Smart-UPS1400 that protects the firewall / router away from the phone line.
  5. Great! thanks to all of you for your extensive suggestions, APC it is..

Cheers
    Musicmad
  6. I've been very satisfied with my APC UPS, I live in florida and we have many power anomalies in my area (like once a day) and so far my UPS has performed excellently!
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Power Components