Turning off a hard drive

I just installed 2 hard drives not long ago for the first time. I'm using one as kind of an archive that I don't really access on a day to day basis. Is there a way to turn the drive off from the start of windows and it doesn't turn on until I access it?
11 answers Last reply
More about turning hard drive
  1. Convert it to an external HDD. That is the only option. There is no option from BIOS or OS to do that!
  2. The easiest way to handle this is to use a "green" drive - the firmware in these drives typically spin down the disk if it isn't accessed for a while.
  3. You could also disable the drive in the BIOS, but you'd need to manually re-enable it in the BIOS again when you want to access it.
  4. hell_storm2004 said:
    Convert it to an external HDD. That is the only option. There is no option from BIOS or OS to do that!

If I do this am I still keeping it inside the case? And I'm guessing in order for it to stop spinning I need to "stop" it from the taskbar and would I have to restart my computer for it to come back on?
  5. ^^That's what i said... make it into an external HDD. That way you dont have to keep it in your case! And it would only spin when you switch it on!
  6. friskydingo said:
    I just installed 2 hard drives not long ago for the first time. I'm using one as kind of an archive that I don't really access on a day to day basis. Is there a way to turn the drive off from the start of windows and it doesn't turn on until I access it?

You can use a tool like Drive Power Manager to put the drive in standby.
    Add this tool with the right command line arguments to Task Scheduler and you're set.
  7. When pouter is off, you can simply open case window and yank the cable. But I'd use one of these on an eSATA port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=BlacX&x=0&y=0
  8. An external case is more expensive, increases the cable mess and requires an extra power outlet so if you have room to put the internal drive inside the case then I don't see an advantage of using an external case.
    Putting the drive in standby by using a software utility will give the same advantage as an external case without the disadvantages.
  9. Cases... software... a "Green" drive is a lot simpler. It does exactly what the OP wants, automatically. No fuss, no muss...
  10. Maybe, but buying a new drive just to save a bit of power seems a bit (well a lot actually ;) ) overkill.
    And putting the drive in standby saves more power than slowing it down.
  11. Yes, more expensive - although IMHO drives are pretty cheap these days and the OP could use the original drive in an external case for backup purposes. More backups are always good. ;)

And Green drives, at least the WD Caviar Green that I use, don't just "slow down", they actually stop when left idle for a while. My 1TB Caviar Green drive uses just 0.4W of power in standby mode.

At any rate, if anyone else is looking at this thread for the purposes of making a buying decision, I'm convinced that a Green drive is definitely the way to go to fill this need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage Product