Sign in with
Your question

Reformat only one partition?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 12, 2011 1:17:06 AM

Evening,

I have one hard drive in my system which is divided into a "C" drive and a "D" drive. The OS (XP Home) is on the "C" part and data is on the "D".

My computer is failing to boot up, instead restarting the boot sequence when it reaches the Windows splash screen.

If I use the System Restore CD (Sony Vaio desktop), is it possible to just reinstall Windows onto the "C" part without reformatting the "D" or will I have to reformat the entire drive?

Thanks for any help / info.

Regards,

Bill

More about : reformat partition

January 12, 2011 1:35:58 AM

Woa! This reminds me of a few sayings, like "don't toss the baby out with the bathwater" or, got a splinter in your finger?? Don't cut off your hand as a way to remove it.

There is a reason why your computer won't start up. It can usually be fixed from the keyboard. No need at this time to trash the XP install because of a little trouble,,, ok.

First, Restart the computer and peck (don't hold) the F8 key, once a second while it is starting.
Eventually you will get a B+W screen with many choices on it.
Try selecting to prevent windows from restarting on error. (similar words, may be slightly different).
Now it will not restart over and over again, but will crash with a blue screen that has some words and lots of numbers. We need the error description and the numbers that follow, like...

IRQ_Not_Equal_ STOP 0x0000007B (0x00000007B,00000045a32,00000005)

This will not be your error description or numbers, but this type message is what is important. Come back with this information and maybe your machine will run again without brain surgery yet.
m
l
January 12, 2011 2:22:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. The message on the blue screen is:

STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF7B86524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Thanks again,

Bill
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2011 2:58:03 AM

Inaccessible boot device.

The Microsoft fix is
HERE

My fix, if applicable,

1. On start up, press F2 to enter BIOS (or whatever key screen shows when first turned on)

2. Expand the "Drives" section (may be different wording)

3. Go to "SATA Operation"

4. Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

save settings, restart.
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:45:58 AM

Thanks,

I looked at this and there is no such option in my BIOS. The BIOS is American Megatrends ver 2005. Also, I don't have a SATA drive, the drive is an IDE.
m
l
January 12, 2011 3:18:26 PM

From that same Advanced Boot Menu, try going into Last Known Good Configuration and/or Safe Mode. Can you get into either of those?
m
l
January 12, 2011 6:03:51 PM

wcjj said:
Thanks,

I looked at this and there is no such option in my BIOS. The BIOS is American Megatrends ver 2005. Also, I don't have a SATA drive, the drive is an IDE.

That's what happens when we don't get a model number. It becomes a matter of "give it your best shot" (in the dark).
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:03:24 PM

Did you install any software before this happened?
If you did go to safe mode and uninstall that software you installed.

In most cases from my experience it turned out to be a program or driver that got installed, screwed things up.
m
l
January 12, 2011 10:59:12 PM

aford10 - I can't boot into anything. Any option I choose the unit just goes into a reboot when the Windows splash screen comes up.

accolite - It seems I did install a program I had downloaded from download.com to use for disc cloning.

Tigsounds - Please don't think I'm ungrateful, I appreciate the help and suggestions. However, I didn't include a model number because my original question was generic in nature, not model specific, having only to do with reformatting a partition. The computer is a Sony PCV-RS420.

Again, my thanks to each of you.
m
l
January 13, 2011 2:21:11 PM

Well let us know if uninstalling that program in safe mode fixed the problem?
m
l
January 13, 2011 2:25:20 PM

Yes, it can be done for just 1 partition. There is often a choice for a non-destructive restore. This will basically just fix your system files, and may allow you to boot up again. If you have the option, try this first.
m
l
!