Location of the file containing volume drive letter information

XionII

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Greetings reader,

I would like to find the location of the file inside the Windows folder that stores Volume Drive Letter data. (at least, I assume there's a file that stores this info!)
The reason that I would like to know this, is that I have 2 HDD's, one a clone of the other. I accidentally messed up the Drive Letter of my primary HDD, making it so that I cannot log into Windows. I was able to recover from this by setting my backup HDD as the primary in the BIOS, and now I wish to replace the bad file on my primary HDD, with the good file on my backup HDD. I assume this data is stored in the Registry, but the only way I know of to modify the registry on my Primary HDD, is to have it set as the System Drive, which I cannot do. So, the next step is to find the file within the Windows folder of my primary HDD. I tried searching for the answer to this question, but to no avail.

Thank you.

XionII

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Thank you for replying.
This was not the source of the problem, however.
As far as my understanding of Windows goes, this data must be stored somewhere on the HDD, no? (besides boot.ini)
In any case, I have options. I could always reformat my primary HDD and clone it from the backup again. It only takes just over 2 hours.

XionII

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
@Tigsounds
Ohh, it makes sense that it would be stored there, now that you mention it.

The cloning software I use is HDClone Standard Edition. I bought it because a friend recommended it, but he is no professional or anything, so it might not be that great after all...

@Dadiggle
I looked up Get Databack ntfs, and it isn't free, so I'd really rather not use that method, especially since it's $80!
I'd much rather just re-clone, that only costs what I already paid and a couple hours of not using my pc :)

XionII

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Well, this is the first time I've used it (I just bought it), and it may be responsible for my problems. What I didn't mention because it was off topic, was that Windows -with my Primary HDD set as system drive (this is before I messed up the drive letters)-, was still reliant on my Backup HDD for some reason. If I tried to disable the backup drive from booting in the bios, windows would start to log in, then immediately log back out.
So, yea, that sounds like it may have been caused by HDClone, but I cannot verify this until I try it again.

Well, I'm going to try reformatting and recloning my HDD now. Thanks for your time guys.

If your clone software may be the culprit, then don't risk it.

I have posted at 4Shared.com a Hd preparation,cloning tool that does not mess up.

It will make a perfect clone. You will need to download it and burn it to CD. It is an image file, so burning software must be able to burn back into a regular CD.

It is bootable.

Be certain of which drive is which in the copy source/destination process. You may need to click the little plus sign associated with each drive to make source/destination selections... you'll see.

It is named (random name) Hitachi and it is
HERE.