Sign in with
Your question

4870 1gig performance...bleh!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 105 U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 12:01:54 PM

Well, I didn't want anybody to miss this after the beating I took last time I said there wouldn't be any difference to talk about regarding the difference of the 512 card vs the 1gig card. here it is........... suck it up boyz

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/control.php?cid=3&...
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 12:23:34 PM

I wanted to say that price premium paying for additional memory does not justify the results of 2-10fps increase. I think that slight improvement is most to higher clocked core rather than more memory. I heard games dont use more then 512 mb of memory. Maybe that's not the case when you play on a 30" but I would not buy that card myself :p 
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 12:24:01 PM

Sorry I missed that thread, I have too been saying for a long time that 1 gig of memory is useless on most cards.

256 bit wide memory buss. If you are going to make good use of more than 512meg of memory, the memory buss has got to be wider than 256 bit.
Adding more than 512 meg of memory to a card with only a 256bit wide buss is nothing more than a marketing ploy that believe it or not, works like a charm. Why not stick another 512meg of memory that cost $25 bucks on a card and sell it for $100 more. People snatch these things up right and left simply because they have a gig of memory. I have seen sales people push these cards in just about every retail store out there... "these are the best you can buy, 1 gig of memory!!!"

The 8800 series and 3800 series benchmarks with 1 gig of memory actually proved 90% of the time to be SLOWER than the same card with 512meg of memory. (of those cards with a 256 bit memory buss)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 12:37:24 PM

I would mostly agree with jitpublisher.
At resolutions 1920x1200 and under, 512mb is more than enough frame buffer for any current game even with AA and AF maxed. If you are not using all of the 512mb you already have, the second 512mb will do slightly less than nothing for you. Where it may come into play would be for the less than 1% of people who game at ultra high resolutions with the filters cranked up.
September 8, 2008 12:37:47 PM

As proven over and over before...

Games do not benefit from extra gfx memory UNLESS they are being played at really high res (even then memory speed is still a limiting factor) or the game wants it. If a game has been designed for 512mb ram at max then 1024mb is pointless as the extra memory needs to be addresses and managed. This even caused slow downs.

However for somebody like me who plays at high res these make sense. Going from 3DMark06 runs at 1920x1080 8xAA 16xAF to 1920x1200 8xAA 16xAF (using 512mb 4870 Crossfire) I lose a good 30% mainly because of memory limitations.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 12:42:17 PM

I agree with most that 1GB for a single card is close to useless; by the time you reach high-enough memory usage, the GPU cannot cope with it anyway. FTA, Crysis got ~95% increase in performance at 1920x1440 with Very High settings and 4xAA, but that still got in only up to less than 16 FPS.

I wonder how those 1GB cards scale in Crossfire in resolutions like 25x16; I think the gain could be there ... then again, why not just get a 2GB 4870x2.
September 8, 2008 1:08:28 PM

jitpublisher said:
256 bit wide memory buss. If you are going to make good use of more than 512meg of memory, the memory buss has got to be wider than 256 bit.
Adding more than 512 meg of memory to a card with only a 256bit wide buss is nothing more than a marketing ploy that believe it or not, works like a charm. Why not stick another 512meg of memory that cost $25 bucks on a card and sell it for $100 more. People snatch these things up right and left simply because they have a gig of memory. I have seen sales people push these cards in just about every retail store out there... "these are the best you can buy, 1 gig of memory!!!"

The 8800 series and 3800 series benchmarks with 1 gig of memory actually proved 90% of the time to be SLOWER than the same card with 512meg of memory. (of those cards with a 256 bit memory buss)

Remember, bus width alone means nothing. It's bandwidth we're interested in, and the 4870 has that in spades.

1024MB seems like overkill now, but it surely won't hurt going forward. Also, if you're like me and enjoy using humongous texture mods then you can never have too much VRAM :D 
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 1:28:19 PM

It's just like RAM today:

I had 2GB 3 years ago, and now i'm running kinda tight... If you don't want to upgrade that card for a LONG time (3-4years?) it's a very good deal IMO. More over if you plan to go the CF way, wich prolly means big-ass monitor with big-ass res.

And besides, the GTX280 comes in 1GB flavour. I'd say now the 1GB 4870 it's actually stepping over it's lawn.

Esop! XD
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 1:30:08 PM

Not sure why this seems to be any great revelation because it's been known for quite some time that 1GB on a gpu is pointless unless you are gaming at very high resolutions.
September 8, 2008 2:32:11 PM

Yuka said:
It's just like RAM today:

Except that you can't add VRAM to a graphics card, you have to buy a new one. 512MB seems to be sufficient in most games for RV770, even at really high resolutions, but if you're planning on keeping the card for over a year I think the 1GB version is a wise investment.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 2:53:45 PM

Pointless thread, and even more of a pointless review. If anyones read/seen/watched a review of the 4870s performance, it shows its fine until you go 25x16, where you DO run out of vram. Worthless, just plain worthless. @ SS, priceless, just priceless, as Im LOLing now too
September 8, 2008 3:49:19 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Well, I didn't want anybody to miss this after the beating I took last time I said there wouldn't be any difference to talk about regarding the difference of the 512 card vs the 1gig card. here it is........... suck it up boyz

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/control.php?cid=3&...

dude....u need 1GB when u wan to play the most demanding games at the highest resolution and AA humanly possible......i say the person who wants to buy 1GB 2 game on less than 25x16 is an idiot......and that site has no benchmark at that resolution.......but still, lets compare at 1900x1440......

almost 90% improvement......is say wen u go to higher resolution....we will get 100%+ gain......
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 8, 2008 4:57:40 PM

You have to consider that because of the GDDR5 Memory the 4870 has bandwidth comparable to the 200 series with their 448 and 512 bit memory bus widths. Anyway sure games don't need all that memory now, but in the future they probably will. I'm sure that id's new game is going to be a vmem glutton and it seems to me that vmem is a main determinant in a high end and mid range cards longevity as developers find ways to use up more and more RAM. That's why I got my 3850 with 512 instead of 256 ^_^.
September 10, 2008 4:20:56 PM

I remember the times of the 8800gts 320MB and 640MB.
In benchmarks the 640MB version didn't show a lot of improvements over the 320MB version but it cost over 100$ more. About a year later I saw some benchmarks with new games and higher resolutions and the 640MB version was wiping the floor with the 320MB version.

I think the same applies here....with the current games (pretty much anything except crysis), you don't see a significant increase in performance even at 1900x1200 with AA and AF cranked up. But who says in 1 year games won't have system requirements similar to those of crysis today, and 512MB of memory will be enough?

Considering the 1GB version is only 40$ more (13% more?), and comes factory overclocked (for those who don't like overclocking) giving it a 5% bonus right off the bat, I think it's a wise investment if you game at resolutions 1900x1200 or more.
If it was 100$ more, I wouldn't get it, though.
September 10, 2008 6:14:44 PM

Would be silly not to spend the extra for 1GB imho - games will very quickly start using it
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2008 6:24:26 PM

Not to mention that some mod groups might release texture mods to take advantage of 1GB like some did a while back for Oblivion (but not for 1GB obviously).
September 10, 2008 6:29:54 PM

I was wondering what your thought swere on 1g for rpg's such as WoW, EQ, where I run more than 1 instance of the game.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2008 8:22:50 PM

its a oc version. 1gig doesnt help to much unless at high res.
September 10, 2008 8:38:09 PM

This 1Gb version is good pair for 4870X2, if you want to have 3 GPU cores in your machine. Allso that kind of combination allows some very high resolutions to be usedm where extra graphic memory is usefull. For those of us, who use normal lcd displays 512Mb is much better choice.
If you need more AA or high resolutions, go for 2, 3 or 4 of these RV770 cores. If two cores is not enough, one of these may be better than havin another 4870X2. Most benchmarks shows that there is very little advantage with 3 cores compared to two.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2008 10:32:39 PM

LOL Im not worthy heheh
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2008 11:21:00 PM

As already mentioned by SS et al, C'mon this is a pointless review.

Crysis is in DX9 mode on XP with the highest resolution being 19x14. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]
That's about the most stressfull test there, and it's weak.

Look at the tests with Crysis on Very High at 2560x1600, that's stressful, and usually fps drops, even on two HD4870 in CF.

Why didn't they pull out the original Quake and Leisure Suit Larry to test while they were at it? [:datmanii:4]

I doubt anyone said it would always matter, but I would put myself among those that say 'it usually doesn't matter that much right now, but there are instances where it does matter, and we still don't know about future titles'.

Prety lame review to use as proof of anything.
September 11, 2008 3:19:12 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

Why didn't they pull out the original Quake and Leisure Suit Larry to test while they were at it? [:datmanii:4]

:lol:  , surprised that they didn't actually...
!