HUGE problem!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 in which I have Windows XP Home Edition. I've
been wanting to reinstall it by clean install using the Windows XP cd, now,
the problem is that my cd driver is not working at all, so, is there any
other way through which I can install it without having to use my cd
driver??? some network instalation?? any floppy instalation?? ANYTHING
PLEASE!!

PS: I was wondering if by any chance any of you would know what could've
happened to my cd driver it just stop reading/burning cd AT ALL, although it
is detected by the system. I can even eject the tray but it's not reading!!
(that's why I need another way to install Win XP again without using my cd
driver).
2 answers Last reply
More about huge problem

    Yvan Luan wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 in which I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    > I've been wanting to reinstall it by clean install using the Windows
    > XP cd, now, the problem is that my cd driver is not working at all,
    > so, is there any other way through which I can install it without
    > having to use my cd driver??? some network instalation?? any floppy
    > instalation?? ANYTHING PLEASE!!
    >
    > PS: I was wondering if by any chance any of you would know what
    > could've happened to my cd driver it just stop reading/burning cd AT
    > ALL, although it is detected by the system. I can even eject the tray
    > but it's not reading!! (that's why I need another way to install Win
    > XP again without using my cd driver).

    CD Driver.. Or CD Drive?

    If you can put your CD into the Drive (Windows Xp Installation CD) and go
    into the BIOS and select to boot from the CD Drive - and when you stat the
    system back up it asks you to "Press any key to boot from CD", then you are
    done and you can delete the current partitions, create new ones and install
    Windows XP fresh on the system - because reinstalling Windows has nothing to
    do with having the right CD Drive driver in your current install of Windows
    XP - iof your system sees and boots off it, then you are done.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "Yvan Luan" wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 in which I have Windows XP Home Edition. I've
    > been wanting to reinstall it by clean install using the Windows XP cd, now,
    > the problem is that my cd driver is not working at all, so, is there any
    > other way through which I can install it without having to use my cd
    > driver??? some network instalation?? any floppy instalation?? ANYTHING
    > PLEASE!!
    >
    > PS: I was wondering if by any chance any of you would know what could've
    > happened to my cd driver it just stop reading/burning cd AT ALL, although it
    > is detected by the system. I can even eject the tray but it's not reading!!
    > (that's why I need another way to install Win XP again without using my cd
    > driver).

    Some Dell PC's and laptop's have diagnostic software installed on them. To
    run the software, boot the laptop and watch for the following:

    "Press F12 to enter boot menu"

    (On my friends laptop it was F12.)

    When you see the message press 'F12' to enter the boot menu. Once you are in
    the boot menu, select 'Diagnostics' to run the diagnostic software. You can
    select testing of specific devices like your CD drive or DVD drive. Run these
    tests to make sure that your hardware is not broken. I recently did this for
    my friend and found that her DVD drive hardware was broken. The drive was
    detected by windows correctly, but if I put a disk into the drive, the disk
    would not be detected. XP would always report that the drive was empty. Tray
    ejection worked correctly, the drive was seen by XP but, the drive couldn't
    detect a disk at all. Since XP detects the drive, I tend to think that your
    driver may be working correctly and that it is the hardware that is broken.

Dell Inspiron CD-Rom Windows XP