LCD. Which one should I buy?

far004

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I am buying a 19 inch LCD. I am buying a ViewSonic LCD. Generally how are ViewSonic's LCDs?

Here are a few link, tell me which one is better than others. U can rank them from best to worst.

1. http://ap.viewsonic.com/in/products/productspecs.php?id=288

2. http://ap.viewsonic.com/in/products/productspecs.php?id=353

3. http://ap.viewsonic.com/in/products/productspecs.php?id=354&s=specs

Plz tell if they are not good enough. I will be using it for gaming and watching movies. Plz say what ever u want to say about these LCD Monitors.

Thanks in advance!

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Personally i dont like ViewSonic. we have two at the office and they just look terrible. my favorite brand is samsung, but they are usually more expensive.
but if the price is right, i would probably try one of the latter two links you have there. the first one is not too great. here ill post the two that are better.
http://ap.viewsonic.com/in/products/productspecs.php?id=353
http://ap.viewsonic.com/in/products/productspecs.php?id=354&s=specs

not really sure what the differance is between the two other than one might be newer than the other.

far004

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Thanks a lot! I was thinking of going for this one as well. Plz tell me why viewsonic is not good. I know samsung is better but why not viewsonic? Plz explain coz my decision is going to base on it.
Thanks!

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
far004 if you budget allows you to go with a 22" inch you want be sorry,in gamming it is the sweet spot as far as gamming goes,I had a 19" viewsonic and it was a good one also had a samsung lcd.they both make great lcd monitors.went with a acer 2216 bw 22" because of the price was better and the screen in my opinion is just as good as ether one of the others,they both cost over $375.00 each.I was glad I went with the acer 2216bw $219.00 ,better price and the screen is just as good and I'm glad I went with 22" for the money 22 inch is the way to go.save the extra money for something else you need.you want be sorry.hope this helps you out .bottom line it's your money.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
I agree with Major53, 22in is the way to go. Acer does seem to have some nice looking monitors and great prices. the reason i dont like viewsonic is cause the ones we have are not crisp and clear. they have a vary fuzzy picture.

I like Viewsonic myself. The one I got at work supports 75Hz refresh rate (i.e. you can get 75 fps in a game if your videocard is good enough). My Samsung and my LG at home only offer 60 Hz. All 3 work at 1680x1050.

Also, I was at a BestBuy recently looking for a 25.5" monitor and the Viewsonic was side by side with the Samsung and the Viewsonic had much better viewing angles and was $50 less. TBH I was surprised because I thought Samsung was the best in this business. I guess it depends on model and you can't generalize based on the brand alone.

Try to get a 22" monitor. Look at it before you buy. Start Paint and fill the screen with black, white and red and check for dead pixels each time. Ideally get one with a DVI input and including a DVI cable.

Are you running those monitors at their native resolution? LCDs in general tend to look fuzzy at any other resolutions. If you are running them at the native resolutions and they're fuzzy anyway, then I guess you've got a bad model. Mine is a VX2025WM and I totally love it.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

far004 aevm brings up a good point about monitors looking fuzzy @ wrong resolutions. Native resolutions means the pixels being sent to the display matches the pixels physically on the screen. any other resolution will have to have 2 or more physical pixels to produce one pixel being transmitted. Therefore the image will look fuzzy. Read this about Native Resolution. me I run mine @ native resolution 1680 x 1050.the monitor never has looked fuzzy,nor did the other two I owned.the only really time I see fuzzy screen is when I've hit the Canadian mist a little to much,but that not the monitors fault.like aevm suggested go to a store and look at them,then make your decision.I've played both crysis,cod4 etc now farcry 2 and it looks great on the acer2216 wb.do your home work on the lcds and you should do ok.

long live the Canadians and the mist they have created

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Are you running those monitors at their native resolution? LCDs in general tend to look fuzzy at any other resolutions. If you are running them at the native resolutions and they're fuzzy anyway, then I guess you've got a bad model. Mine is a VX2025WM and I totally love it.

the 15in is running at native resolution. i dont think the 19in is though, the guy that uses it cant see to well, has to have big icons. it could be that we got really cheap ones. we probably only spent like 150bucks per monitor. they are running on a couple of really old intel integrated cards. old dells with P4's.

far004

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Try to get a 22" monitor. Look at it before you buy. Start Paint and fill the screen with black, white and red and check for dead pixels each time. Ideally get one with a DVI input and including a DVI cable.

Well I dont have enough cash at the moment to go for 22". And I am buying from a local retail store so I wont be able to buy from Newegg(I live outside of US).

And thanks a lot for telling me the paint trick, I really didnt know that. What else should I look for when I buy it?

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
good contrast ratio ( 1000/1 or better), there are a couple different ratio's get the monitor with the highest numbers. and fast response time. my samsung has 2MS response time, but most monitors have 5MS response times (which is fine).

Look for a response time of 5 ms or less. It's important in games.

Look for stand adjustments. Usually advertised as "Swivel & Tilt". Not essential IMO but convenient.

Look out for annoying blue LED buttons on the front. (Mind you, I solved this one by taping a piece of paper over the button, it's no biggie.)