GTX260 with a NorthQ4100 PSU?

Koth

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Hello, I recently bought myself a XFX GTX260 card. I was aware the minimum requirements were 500watts, which my current PSU provides. I concidered upgrading just to make sure it would fit but decided to hold my horses as I'm really pleased with the NorthQ PSU.

Now that I got the card and opened the package I noticed the two "bonus power" plus weren't Molex plugs but a 6-pin thingy, which my PSU doesn't have. In the box there was a converter, one converter to be exact, which would take two 4-pin Molex plugs and turn it into a single 6-pin thingy. Beside the converter there was a big sign saying "XFX does not reccommend the use of this thingy as the card demands high quality power" or something along those lines.

My previous card was a 8600GT which also service me well for quite a few years.

Now for the real questions: Should I upgrade my PSU? If so, any reccommendations? I'm not really in the field when it gets to PSU's :p - Also, is it 'safe' (I wouldn't think so?) to use the converter? Are they just a tad overzealous?

Hope some of you can help me out, thanks in advance :)

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I would. Most power supplies that advertise 500W can deliver 500W for short bursts but only 400-450W for longer term use.