core i7 versus quad power needs?

doc5

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Anyone know the approximate increase in power one might need in going from an intel Q9550 based system to a low to mid level core i7 system?

Just curious- I'm planning to build by years end and am not sure whether I'll be going quad or i7, but just wonder the increase in PSU I might need.

Thanks,
Quinn

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
performance on single thread apps should be the same to plain eye, however, multi thread apps will benifit from the extra threads.......and the power requirement will increase quite a bit

doc5

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hmm... I'm not sure this was a dumb question.
First, I hadn't seen TDP values. I have since found answers through goggling :)

Secondly, We've already seen two opposite answers.

Thanks,
Quinn

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I've seen that the TDP for all 3x i7 cpu's are 130W. So it just might use more power. because a 9550 has been rated at 95W TDP. But these TDP values should be taken with a grain of salt. If i,m not mistaken it just means that the max Watt the CPU could pull.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Not exactly a 'people' person, are you? Most responses you give take shots at everyone. The entire point of a forum is to ask and receive help...not to attack someone because they don't know the answer. If you are going to be that negative, just don't respond. Your inferiority complex doesn't need to take root in the forums, here.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008

You're just a simple minded retard aren't you? Sure am glad I'm not you cause that must suck. Why don't you dump your pointless pathetic bleating on someone else. Definitely seek psychiatric help, you need it more than anyone.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

To be fair the question asked was dumb and your response was even dumber.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You're just a simple minded retard aren't you? Sure am glad I'm not you cause that must suck. Why don't you dump your pointless pathetic bleating on someone else. Definitely seek psychiatric help, you need it more than anyone.

Really? Wow...that ranks at about 3rd grade playground level. Impress me with something other than calling someone stupid or telling me I'm a retard. Pretty simplistic life you lead...'making fun' of other people. It's quite the irony that you tell me I need help, yet you are the narcissistic fool.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I dont see it as a stupid question... The 130w is a max TDP at which the CPU will start to throttle at (assuming Overvolt Protection is on) Considering all 3 i7's are at 130TDP you would also have to assume that the 920 and 940 will use less than the 965 due to their lower clock speed.

From reviews ive seen the 965 is around the same as the current EE Cpus from intel (QX9770) the 920 and 940 should be around the same as the current Q9300-9400 series.

Its also to be noted the the i7's will deliever MUCH better idle power usage than the current Quads due to the arch improvement and addition of the on-die power monitor. From what ive seen when idle they are extremely effecient.

RAND0M1ZER

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Actually, I am pretty sure the power consumption of your overall system..This is because although the TDP is higher intel has added some stuff into the cpu, the memory controller for example is now intergrated into the processor.

Either way the power supply you are using for your current rig will easily run a core i7 rig.