Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Quad Core
  • Intel i7
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2008 2:21:07 PM

Hey guys

Want to know if i should really wait for the AM3 or is it still going to be behind the intel quad cores or Intel i7??

ARe there any benchmarks? any details of which processors are going to be launched?

Want to know as i am thinking of upgrading and i have always been a fan of AMD!!

Let me know

Cheers

More about : am3 intel intel quad core

a b à CPUs
October 28, 2008 2:39:49 PM

No reliable benchmarks yet. Still, i see it hard for AMD to pull ahead of even Quads at this point, as right now the best they can do is pump out budget CPU's.
October 28, 2008 2:47:47 PM

Last I saw, the AM3 socket wasn't even releasing until like summer 2009. The AM2+ denebs are Q1 but then you aren't getting the new socket. Might be a while for benchmarks to hit.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2008 4:02:54 PM

Its to early to tell. Just buy what fits into your budget and performs the best when you do decide to upgrade.
October 28, 2008 4:37:44 PM

I would not wait............
It will be a long wait.

AM2+ in January and the AM3+ not until later 2009, if everything holds to schedule.

And just because the CPU may fit in the socket of a current Mobo, don't assume the manufacturer will add BIOS support and you can easily assume that if they do it will not perform nearly as well as if you bought a new mobo, which has been the case with the Phenoms. The latest versions are not even up to their best with AM2+ boards shipped 1st part of this year and need the latest ones.

Not saying to go Intel or AMD.
But buy on today's tech.
i7 systems will not be a good bang for you buck until next year...if then.
Denab is still a ways out.....
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2008 4:49:40 PM

I think the delays in AM3 are due to the DDR3 controller. Apparently AMD was having a bit of trouble with it. Basically when AM3 comes out it will be Deneb with a fixed DDR3 controller. Of course you're not going to know about the performance yet so you have to wait. If you want to get something now then just go with an Intel Quad Core.
October 28, 2008 5:40:43 PM

nevos2005 said:
AM3 or Intel i7 or intel quad core

What do you want the computer for?
October 28, 2008 6:15:34 PM

I want gaming is the main thing with enough power to watch films galore!!

I see you argument! which setups you were on a good budget of around $1500-$2000, would you choose with amd or intel? That includes motherboard memory and processor!!

But still the am3 will work on am2+ boards which means the latest cpus can work on the same board for a while making it a long term investment!!
October 28, 2008 6:17:30 PM

i7 IS quad core, no?
October 28, 2008 6:43:53 PM

Yes, all 4 cores will communicate on the same communication ring, they don't have to go out on the system bus in order to communicate. They all talk at the same speed without interfering with other hardware.
October 28, 2008 6:51:10 PM

nevos2005 said:

But still the am3 will work on am2+ boards which means the latest cpus can work on the same board for a while making it a long term investment!!

No, that does not really make it a long-term investment.

#1 - The compatibility is in theory only. A large percentage of AM2 boards that were released prior to Phenom will not run Phenoms. The reason is the Mobo makers did not update the bios to support Phenom.
Adding BIOS support to new generation Chips will cost Mobo makers money to do as well as cost them potential revenue from a new Mobo sale. You see this in both the Intel and AMD world.

#2 - The will likely be a large performance hit for not using an AM3 board. The same that is seen for using an AM2 and not an AM2+ board for the 1st Phenoms. And what is seen for not using the latest SB chip that was just released with the very latest Phenoms. You can get yourself a Mobo now for Denab. Just don't expect to be getting top notch performance from it.

The choice basiclly comes down to Budget.
The Phenom will Cost Less and Perform Less.
The Intel C2Q will Cost More and Perform Better.

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q940...

And when looking at numbers.........
Don't just get caught up with what is faster.
You can decide what is "Fast Enough".

October 28, 2008 7:04:52 PM

Going Core i7 will likely to set you back 700~800 bucks. So it is relatively more expensive than AM3. However since we do not know any information on AM3 in regards to price and performance, Core i7 will be a better choice if you're looking to build soon.

Of course, going for Core 2 Quads would make much more sense.
October 29, 2008 7:46:42 AM

ARe the quad cores the best for the long run as i want my system to last me about 2-3 years before upgrading again and still be able to play the lastest games!!
October 29, 2008 8:14:27 AM

Are there any reviews and preformance comparisons between the Intel i7 and the intel quad cores?
October 29, 2008 10:42:07 AM

Yes, and some reviews show a small amount of improvement in some games (5% improvement per clock), though many games are even with the older cores, and sometimes a bit lower. i7's real claim to fame is the massive amount of bandwidth it has, which will help it excel in server environments (particularly virtualized). They will probably take the crown in this field, for a little while at least. Also, some applications will see a hefty improvement.

Deneb should be a lot more competitive with Intel's lineup than the Agena Phenom. Core calcs per clock have been increased by a fair margin, and clocks have been improved quite a bit. So, if you're an AMD fan, they will likely please you this round.
October 29, 2008 12:18:21 PM

nevos2005 said:
Are there any reviews and preformance comparisons between the Intel i7 and the intel quad cores?

No reliable benchmarks have yet been published.
AnandTech did a preview but due to NDA were not allowed to publish detailed testing results.
This will be done when the NDA is lifted.

They did state however that the i7 was significantly faster than the current C2Q chips.
October 29, 2008 12:19:33 PM

nevos2005 said:
I want gaming is the main thing with enough power to watch films galore!!

Then you want a high clocked core 2 quad.

Forget about i7 - you've no need for the mem bandwidth, and the lower latency from the larger cache will serve you better.

Also forget about AM2+ or AM3. Deneb may potentially become as good as the current core2 quads - but that is a may and a potentially.
October 29, 2008 12:35:35 PM

when is deneb AM2+ out?? this year or next?
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2008 12:55:18 PM

nevos2005 said:
when is deneb AM2+ out?? this year or next?

From what I've heard it will be released in January 2009.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2008 12:57:53 PM

Malovane said:
Deneb should be a lot more competitive with Intel's lineup than the Agena Phenom. Core calcs per clock have been increased by a fair margin, and clocks have been improved quite a bit. So, if you're an AMD fan, they will likely please you this round.

Link Please?
October 29, 2008 1:28:09 PM

Can i wait till january? as anyone looked at the AMD extras like the overdrive and fusion which automatically overclocks everything to do with AMD/ATI products to reach a high potential!! This is one of the reasons i am sticking with amd! i have a ATI graphics card that might better be complemented with amd hardware!!

Let me know what you think!
October 29, 2008 2:32:28 PM

Deneb may arrive sooner than January. Shanghai is in production right now, and should reach vendors by the end of the month, or at the beginning of the next month.

I have played with AMD overdrive a lot. It communicates directly with the chipset if it is made by AMD (such as a 790/750 combo). As far as software overclocking, it does a very good job, though I can't push my 9850 voltage past 1.45 (software doesn't allow it), leaving anything above 3.5Ghz too unstable. That's fine with me though, as I usually find 3.4 ghz at 1.4v ample enough. Often, software clocking is a bit unreliable, but this seems to do just as good of a job as playing in the BIOS if you don't want to get too extreme.

I haven't played with Fusion yet, as I'm running Vista 64. When Fusion came out, it did not seem to support this OS, but just XP. Perhaps that has changed.
October 29, 2008 2:51:41 PM

nevos2005 said:
Can i wait till january? as anyone looked at the AMD extras like the overdrive and fusion which automatically overclocks everything to do with AMD/ATI products to reach a high potential!! This is one of the reasons i am sticking with amd! i have a ATI graphics card that might better be complemented with amd hardware!!

Let me know what you think!

Personally I got a bad stepping on my 9850 so I'm having a hard time not just buying a new 9950 at this time; knowing that the AM2+ Deneb version will be released in January. Based on average claims I could get anywhere from 400Mhz to 600Mhz more of a clock with lower voltage. But since I don't really ever overclock except for messing around I will probably wait.

On the other hand even when the AM2+ version is released in January, I'll know that the AM3 version is scheduled to be released in March. The AM3 chip is reported to have both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers in it. Plugging the AM3 chip version into an AM2+ motherboard will cause it to use the DDR2 memory controller and the chip should appear electrically exactly the same as the AM2+ version of the chip. (Reducing any possible BIOS compatibility problems.)

A few posters on some forums have claimed that this dual controller functionality is giving AMD problems and that is why the AM2+ is scheduled for January and the AM3 is scheduled for March. However since it has been scheduled that way for months... that rumor doesn't seem to have a lot of truth.

Malovane said:

I haven't played with Fusion yet, as I'm running Vista 64. When Fusion came out, it did not seem to support this OS, but just XP. Perhaps that has changed.

And it also works on Vista 32. I downgraded from Vista64 to 32 just to play with Fusion. It is a nifty tool. (Which is why some Intel people hacked it so it will work on Intel systems... other than the AOD overclock stuff.)

The "auto overclock" feature requires you to have used the "auto-overclock" in both AOD and/or the Catalyst control panels. Since you can do a better job manually overclocking... that functionality is not as useful as it could be if you were allowed to specify what you want to use.

But personally I like it for the ability to shutdown unused services and applications while gaming (or benchmarking) and automatically turn them back on when going back to normal. VERY nice.
October 29, 2008 3:44:29 PM

Im using fusion and i have a amd 939 4000+ and without it, i cant play dual screen mode supreme commander at 1400x900 at nearly full graphics!! With it, the graphics dont gutter and i get a major preformance boost!!

I know if i go with the intel core2 quad, there wont be anymore processors lined up for that socket so no potential upgrade, with the am2+, there is room for improvement processor wise and that gives enough time to wait for the new line to come out + much cheaper than intel options!!

BUT... If i just get the intel i7 then i am pretty much sorted for the next 2-3 years for motherboard and processor and updating the grahics card wont be a problem for the next 1-2 years!!

What do you guys think of my logic?
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2008 4:53:25 PM

I dont get how you figure going the AMD route is much cheaper.

If your machine is built for mainly gaming there is no need to wait for i7. So if you really want to get upgrade now, go for it.

As far as AMD. It may be worth the wait for the 45nm. They are supposed to clocker higher and be faster clock for clock than the current k10's. But we have all heard that before. I believe they will come through with the 45nm but I wouldnt count on it.

You are sticking with AMD because you're a fan of there stuff. Its what you're familar with. You like the autodrive and all that. Thats just fine. But dont say BS like going the AMD route will be much cheaper.
October 30, 2008 10:25:02 AM

AMD is cheaper to put together a new computer compared to Intel especially if you want quad core and a good motherboard for it is much cheaper too!

Looking now in the realm of Intel i7 is it worth it when it comes out or is that playing the waiting game too??
November 1, 2008 11:22:42 PM

i dont know if this is true, but ive read that shanghai is november 12th along with am2+ denebs, and am3 is january, and deneb fx is march, but ill have to find the link.
November 1, 2008 11:48:10 PM

There is never a best time to buy PC parts. There will always be something better to come along within a few months. That being said, do as a few others said, just buy now, you cant go wrong. You wait for i7/AM3 then youre gonna see something new on the horizon, then youre gonna ponder waiting for that....the PC industry is a calendar of worries, what ifs, and hook line and sinkering.

The currenet Q9000s and E8000 will be well enough for awhile.
!