Sign in with
Your question

Cant get system to shut down...suggestions

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2008 8:29:06 PM

I have read through about 6 pages in this section of the forum and tried searching the entire forum for a solution to my problem. I simply cannot get my system to shut down and stay off. I tell windows to shut down. It goes to the shutdown screen, turns off and then starts itself again. I have built a few systems before, but i have never encountered this before and i really don't know what to do.

Am i looking at a compatibility issue? could i have place one of the front panel connection on the wrong set of pins? Software problem?

currently running:
Vista 64 Home Prem. SP1
AMD 6000+
Biostarr TA770 A2+
ATi 4850
Creative Xtreme Gamer
Seagate 500G
Corsair TX650w
Corsair XMS2 2x2GB
Asus DVDROM
LiteOn DVDBurner
Logitech G15/5
August 15, 2008 6:24:37 AM

LOL, i must say that gave my quite the laugh.

could the power button on your case be in constant contact of the on/off switch?
August 15, 2008 7:48:59 AM

That's my first thought. Basically a case switch issue. Check the connections on the motherboard from the case as well.
August 16, 2008 12:09:57 AM

Nope it's not the case. I am able to shut it down by holding the power button. I'm currently running with the same case as i had in my last build and it was not an issue before.

I have done some searching on the net and have tried many suggestions that i have found at other sites. Most have sited that Vista itself was the problem, through it's many "wake" options. And sadly i have tested a few "wake" option with little success.

I have poured over the MOBO's manual many times and have looked into each power management option with little success either. And i did check all the jumpers as well.

I know getting a computer to shut down should be easy and my problem is trivial, but the idea that i tell the silly thing to turn itself off seems really
appealing to me. :) 

thanks Marshmellow and Proximon for responding. I guess i will keep digging unless someone else has another idea.
!