Does unplugging hard drive mean loseing data?

im going to change motherboard on my pc but am new to all this so wonder when i unplug the hard drive from motherboard will the operating system need reinstalling?if so i won,t bother as it will mean i,ll have to purchase a new copy of xp.thanks everyone for your help
4 answers Last reply
More about does unplugging hard drive loseing data
  1. You won't lose data, but from what I understand the OS is tied to the motherboard so you will need to install another.
  2. No OS purchase if necessary if your copy of Windows is Upgrade or Retail (as opposed to OEM). However, a number of drivers (e.g., PCI, disk controllers, USB controllers, and others) might need to be replaced to support the new motherboard.
  3. jsrudd said:
    You won't lose data, but from what I understand the OS is tied to the motherboard so you will need to install another.

cheers so looks like a new operating system as well as motherboard,now maybe is the time to go the windows 7 route :D thanks for the info anyway.
  4. there's info out there about swapping motherboards without reinstalling XP. Might be possible without reactivation as well. Google is your friend ;)

Also when you unplug the HDs, watch out for bits leaking from the HD. Sometimes they try to make a break for it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Motherboards Windows XP Storage