Sign in with
Your question

Does unplugging hard drive mean loseing data?

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2010 3:30:02 PM

im going to change motherboard on my pc but am new to all this so wonder when i unplug the hard drive from motherboard will the operating system need reinstalling?if so i won,t bother as it will mean i,ll have to purchase a new copy of xp.thanks everyone for your help
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 12, 2010 2:28:01 AM

You won't lose data, but from what I understand the OS is tied to the motherboard so you will need to install another.
January 12, 2010 2:43:17 AM

No OS purchase if necessary if your copy of Windows is Upgrade or Retail (as opposed to OEM). However, a number of drivers (e.g., PCI, disk controllers, USB controllers, and others) might need to be replaced to support the new motherboard.
Related resources
January 12, 2010 3:20:45 AM

jsrudd said:
You won't lose data, but from what I understand the OS is tied to the motherboard so you will need to install another.

cheers so looks like a new operating system as well as motherboard,now maybe is the time to go the windows 7 route :D  thanks for the info anyway.
a b G Storage
January 12, 2010 3:52:28 PM

there's info out there about swapping motherboards without reinstalling XP. Might be possible without reactivation as well. Google is your friend ;) 

Also when you unplug the HDs, watch out for bits leaking from the HD. Sometimes they try to make a break for it.
!