Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External Hard Drives backup files or operating system?

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2010 5:01:09 PM

Hi. I asked a question on the homepage ?box however I don't know how to retrieve an answer (sorry 'bout that) and so am posting question here. Thanks. :) 

I'm going to buy an EHDrive. Most descriptions of EHD's, for eg. Western My Book 1TB and Simpletech 750GB say "backs up data: music, files, movies, etc." A couple of EHD's, for eg. Rebit 160GB and Simpletech 750GB, say "backs up entire computer applications, settings, operating system ANd files". I want one that backs up my entire internal hard drive. Do all EHDs back up applications, operating system, ANd files? Or do I have to look on the label for that specifically? Thanks.

Best solution

January 11, 2010 7:38:00 PM

Diane, the thinking is this: you can always reinstall your OS and applications, but your data--files, music, etc.--you cannot, so you make a copy on another drive.

The only real reason to backup/image the entire drive--OS, applications, and all--would be to save the time of reinstalling everything.

If that's what you need, there are many applications available--Ghost, Drive Copy, etc.--that can image the entire drive and put that copy onto another drive. Any other drive that's large enough can be used for an entire image or just for your personal data.

The difference between the offerings you've listed is in the software included and your desired results, not in the hardware used; any hard drive will work for either purpose.
January 12, 2010 2:51:59 AM

This answers everything. Thanks so much Ruffhouse :) 
m
l
Related resources
!