Sign in with
Your question

keyboard stops working at random times

Last response: in Motherboards
November 29, 2008 4:58:00 AM

i am using an asus p5q se. since yesterday, ever few hours, my keyboard will stop working. the lights are still on, but none of the keys work. At this point, ive tried swapping out the keyboard, which doesnt fix it. it is connected to my ps2 port. restarting my computer fixes the problem but my keyboard responses will be a little bit 'choppy' for a few minutes after the restart.

My computer is less than a month old. O.O Anybody got any ideas what's happening? thanks
November 29, 2008 6:11:45 AM

Is it just the keyboard, or does the mouse quit as well... If both, I've seen this behaviour with a buggy graphics driver. Fixed by uninstalling and loading a previous version fixed it for me.

If it's just the keyboard its possible (but rare) that your PS2 port is failing. I've seen this with certain MB's when the 'person' removed / re-installed a keyboard under power. RMA'd the MB....
November 29, 2008 8:47:55 AM

it is just my keyboard. ive noticed that if i leave it for a little while, it will go back to normal without a restart. also, if it's not working and i press a few keys, my motherboard beeps at me.
Related resources
November 29, 2008 2:23:27 PM

have you tried uninstalling the keyboard through the device manager? Once you start your computer back up it should find it again and reinstall the drivers.
November 30, 2008 3:41:26 AM

howdoweplaythis said:
it is just my keyboard. ive noticed that if i leave it for a little while, it will go back to normal without a restart. also, if it's not working and i press a few keys, my motherboard beeps at me.

Do you have access to a USB keyboard to test with?
!