Sign in with
Your question

HOW TO RECOVER SYSTEM32 FILE ON XP

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
January 12, 2011 3:25:07 PM

HI MY LAPTOP SAYS I NEED TO REINSTALL <WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\HALL.DLL.
WHAT DO I DO NOW?
I NO HOW TO GET IN TO THE"R" SECTION BUT DONT KNOW THE RIGHT COMMANDS.
IM USING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

More about : recover system32 file

January 12, 2011 3:57:30 PM

You don't need commands. Do the repair install, the directions are posted in this XP forum, sixth post from the top. This does not erase your personal files.
The repair install sets the entire operating system back to default, and you do not need to know which files are corrupted.
Using the repair console is unnecessary, and rather complicated.
May 4, 2012 7:04:55 AM

In your case HAL.DLL file became corrupted.
I presume your XP computer does not boot now and you want to fix it.
The method below may help recover files from a crashed hard drive running Window XP including when you have RAID 0 arrangement of disks.
To try to replace the corrupted file with a good copy use Recovery Mode.
try the following:
- find your XP distribution or recovery disk if your computer has one.
- if you use RAID arrangement of hard disks find SATA drivers on floppy
- if you have RAID and don't have a floppy drive get and install one (not USB, the internal one). SATA drivers usually can be downloaded from motherboard manufacturer website.
- In BIOS set boot sequence to allow boot from CDROM.
- load CD, floppy and reboot,
- watch screen prompts to boot from CD
- watch screen to add drivers from floppy (if you have RAID)
- follow Windows prompts to get to recovery console
- use Expand command to replace bad file with good one from CD
- if you have installed XP Service Packs then replace the bad file with a good one from cache folder in Windows directory on hard drive.
- use Exit command to reboot
- if that didn't help then your hard disk has errors on it and you need to start recovering your files from it before you run Chkdsk or similar disk correction programs.
- Recovery mode does not allow one to copy files from user folders, only the hard drive root directory, unless you knew inadvance that your drive will crash and adjusted Recovery Console security settings for Set command to allow access to all folders. That is MS data security feature.
- If you have lots of files to recover and you didn't make regular backups buy or borrow a hard drive with 2GB or more free capacity.
- No other method worked for me, only the extra drive.
- Do not run chkdsk until you backed up what you can still save.
- If you have SATA drivers in RAID and all your SATA slots are taken use IDE hard drive.
- turn off PC and connect hard drive to IDE cable (same as CDROM)
- adjust master/slave jumper settings on CDROM and IDE disk.
- restart and make sure BIOS sees the IDE disk
- boot from XP CD and install fresh copy of XP on new IDE disk.
- if you have RAID keep that floppy in and be ready to press F6 to load RAID drivers.
- start new copy of XP and copy files from bad disk(s) to IDE disk or to a USB flash drive.
- run error-check on bad disk(s). Reformat it if error check doesn't help and reinstall XP back on the old har drive(s).

Hope this helps.
- tmakogon
!