help P5bw-la

stereosonic2

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
i bought a new motherboard and cpu for my HP Media Center m7650n because pc was not working no display on monitor, no beeps so my friend said its either the motherboard or cpu since i had no way of testing which one i bought new motherboard first same model, Motherboard Name: P5BW-LA and tryed old cpu a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (C) DC 1.86 GHz . same problem occur. so i bought a cpu intel pentium d processor 830 3.0 ghz since i could not afford the exact same processor . still same problem i try in old motherboard and new motherboard no beep no display i reuse the ram in both case . know i not sure if my new cpu is compatiable. plz plz help should i buy knew ram too

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I'm having difficulty understanding what your question is but if you installed a new Mobo and CPU and now you have no display there is a good chance you will have to reinstall Windows since the hardware profile is different. (at minimum you will have to reactivate Windows) Although the first thing I would do is check the video card.
If you respond to this you might want to try using better English and be more concise. Just as an example I'm not sure what knew ram is. Does this mean you knew what type of RAM you had?

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
There are four different versions of the P5BW-LA:

Basswood

Buckeye

Basswood2

Basswood3G

Basswood and Buckeye appear to be the only ones that support older Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors.

The problem could be the motherboard, power supply, graphics card, or CPU, but the CPU is the least likely to just 'go' bad. You have blindly spent money that you apparently don't have. You would just be throwing good money after bad at this point.

techuline

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I am having a similar problem. My HP m7680n P5Bw-la mobo wouldn't power up. Stuck the PSU on the multimeter and output seemed ok. So I purchased an exact replacement mobo and a comparable replacement PSU, just because. Replaced the mobo and psu and all cards and peripherals. Everything powers up fine but I do not have any video output on the pci-e x16 card. Figured maybe the card was toast so I go a replacement card. This did not resolve it. I have tried resetting the bios to default via HP's support site and have had no luck. It seems the board isn't outputting to the pci-e card as I don't even get the bios output. I have cleared the cmos, double checked the ATX connections, tried different cables (dvi & vga), both mobos, memory, and have disconnected all other cards and drives.

I'm not getting any post beeps and everything seems to be powered up ok.

Any ideas why I would not be getting any video output on an new board and a new video card???

Specs:

Mobo: P5Bw-la (Basswood)
PCI-e: EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 256MB
PSU: DiabloTek 400W

Let me know if I can provide any more into!!