!very important arctic freezer 7 and e8500 question...

xrecoilxjustinx

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
hey i just got my new rig parts from new egg...super fast as usual...i installed the e8500 wolf to the maximus II board..and also ordered ...arctic silver 5 paste and arctic freezer 7 heatsink fan...i wasnt sure to remove the gray square paste off the AC7 so i left it on and put even dabs of arctic silver 5 on the CPU then sealed the deal..is this wrong..should i redo it...did i mess everything up please help im freakin

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Yep, you should redo it. That grey square is the pre-applied thermal paste. You shouldn't use both that and as5. Too much thermal paste hurts cooling. Remove the heatsink and clean it and the cpu with rubbing alcohol. Then apply the as5 and you're good to go.

xrecoilxjustinx

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
ok cool...and how would you recommend i apply the AC5 ...on just the heat sink or just on the cpu..and how exactly..draw a sqaure..a circle...a happy face? whats the most effective way..and also...whats the most effective way of positioning the Artic freezer 7 fan/heatsink...its in an Antec 900 case...

xrecoilxjustinx

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
i did..and they are the most vauge directions i ever read...did not say anything about removing ...paste if you are adding your own..AS5 and doesnt say anything about how to position the heatsink..i mean we got four different ways to put it in

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Here you go. AS5 instructions.
Position the heatsink so it blows toward the case's exhaust fan.