Sign in with
Your question

Normal Amount of HDD Seek Errors???

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2010 12:57:06 AM

I ran spinrite on a 60GB Fujitsu 2.5" drive. My results are as follows:

I'm pretty sure I'm ok with the ECC Corrections, but I'm not sure if I'm within a normal boundary of seek errors....if there even is one. This is a laptop I am checking out for my father with which he is reporting slow boot up performance and occasional freezing. It's an older Dell Inspiron, but I know the tech guy that issued the laptop to him did just perform a clean OS install.

These seek errors are worrying me and I'm wondering if this drive is slowly biting the dust.
January 12, 2010 8:23:16 PM

the drive passed Fujitsu's testing utility, finishing the extended test in 40 minutes. Depending on the quality/accuracy of their utility, does this mean these scan errors are normal?
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
January 12, 2010 11:16:43 PM

It's a little hard to say since I don't know how heavily the drive had been used, but that seems like a high rate of seek errors me. None of my drives, all of which have been in service for at least a few thousand hours, have ANY seek errors.
Related resources
April 9, 2010 4:23:59 AM

I am running into similar results with a 2.5" laptop HD in a Lenovo T61. My current test is at 3% and I alreay have 733,000 ECC and 28,000 seek errors. Mine may also be a Fujitsu drive. I'll check once it is done running.

I run spinrite on a lot of lenovo laptops and see this same thing a lot. High ecc and seek errors but still pass manufacturer diagnostics. If I run spinrite immediately after it finishes the errors do not seem to decrease.

The burning question is? Is this a harbinger of failure? (haven't seen it) and does this condition affect performance?
a c 126 G Storage
April 9, 2010 4:52:11 AM

Make sure the HDD is properly mounted. If it isn't mounted by screws, or is allowed to vibrate/resonate, then you will have bad seek performance and this will affect the SMART values as well.

I must add that my own pack of HDDs also report seek errors; though none of them show any sign of weakness such as reallocated sector count or pending sectors.
!