Sign in with
Your question

Internal 3.5" HD + external case -> portable HD with USB?

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2010 1:47:24 AM

Hi, can anyone give me their opinions whether a 3.5" internal sata II drive, eg WD caviar black 1tb, if placed in an external casing would give me a workable portable drive that is usb powered and works normally? My intention is to get a portable USB powered drive that is large, but so far I realise that they usually require a power source. Also, if caviar black doesn't work, will using caviar green be workable?
a b G Storage
January 12, 2010 2:24:35 AM

Generally no. There is not enough power over USB to power a 3.5" drive. Though If they sell you an adaptor and claim it will power a 3.5" then who am I to argue?
m
l
January 12, 2010 5:22:30 AM

Look for a case design specifically for this operation (you will need a power supply for your hdd), maybe you'll find something with a power adapter integrated, so you don't have to carry extra hardware with you.
The drive can work as and portable device, but be careful, becase smaller drives (1,5", 2" and 2,5") have special features that makes them better suited for external use and mobility (low rpm and shock absorption). - > just keep the drive stiil while operating.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2010 3:12:44 PM

i got myself a 3.5 seagate in a external case, the power supply is tiny and wont really affect your usage. accept you will need to find an outlet. My case has the transformer as part of the plug and its about the same size as a cellphone charger. it wraps up nicely and fits with my external in the case i bought for it. Id also say to you, get one that is eSATA capable also so you can have the option to hook her up either USB or eSATA.
m
l
January 13, 2010 1:29:17 AM

Can i take it that you mean if i use WD caviar green in an external 3.5" enclosure, i can still get it to work provided i be careful?

m_arh said:
Look for a case design specifically for this operation (you will need a power supply for your hdd), maybe you'll find something with a power adapter integrated, so you don't have to carry extra hardware with you.
The drive can work as and portable device, but be careful, becase smaller drives (1,5", 2" and 2,5") have special features that makes them better suited for external use and mobility (low rpm and shock absorption). - > just keep the drive stiil while operating.

m
l
!