Revamping my Computer

otieatkins

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Good Afternoon.
Somehow I have really messed up my computer (2004 Alienware 3.6 ghz dual processor 4gb ram windows XP3).

I have multiple drives – the only internal hard drive is divided into 2 partitions, C – Total 86.3gb Free 7.12gb; H – Total 66.3gb Free 29gb; the 1st external is divided into 2 partitions, P – Total 473gb Free 165gb; R – Total 457gb Free 241gb; the 2nd external is divided into 2 partitions, S – Total 341gb Free 6.94gb; T – Total 1.03tb Free 44.9gb; the 3rd external is D – Total 465gb Free 109gb; the 4th external is L – Total 931gb Free 100gb.

Everything is so slow, sometimes it takes minutes to do a task. I also have lost my management disk tool that allows me to manage my disks, so, I know that my windows is messed up. My restore back to the time when it was running good is long gone.

I'm thinking that I want to move everything unnecessary off the C drive and reinstall windows but I don't know what to save and what not to. Or, how to do it.

Any help/advice is deeply appreciated.

It's actually not too bad. You just do a repair install of the operating system that does not erase the personal files.
Look in this forum, sixth post from the top, for the directions.
Doing the repair will configure the hardware, and it should run much better afterwords.
But I would move your personal files, so that they are not on the same partition as the operating system. I would let the OS and programs ride on a separate partition, and keep the personal files elsewhere.