QVL does it really matter?

TheGreek1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I purchased memory thats not on my mobo's QVL. Was/is that a real issue or is the QVL just a recommendation but not a hard fast rule? It seems that all the DDR800 on the QVL is running at 2.1v .... would that just be the equivalent of 667 (1.8v) overclocked to 800??? Thanks in advance.

FYI:
I purchased a P5Q-Deluxe and mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

The Greek

I'm sure you will be fine.

The QVL is simply a list of what was tested. They don't really want to waste time testing every single stick out there. They want to provide you with tested choices as a service... just in case. Often the voltage is key to whether the system boots out of the box or not.

1.8V is the most issue free voltage, and tight timings make for even greater chance at compatibility, which is why I like to recommend those sticks.

You can also check the RAM vendors site. They keep a similar list of boards they have tested.

95%+ that you will have no problems.
There are way to many diffrent sticks of RAM out there for the manufacturer to test every setup.
Just make sure and set in your BIOS the propper voltage and timings as specified by Mushkin.