ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Say you wanted an Intel SSD as a boot drive and there is currently 38G on the hard drive. Pretty much all the software is installed. There are some Adobe CS4 programs; all the scratch discs and temp folders are on a 1TB 7200rpm "work" drive. There is another 4TB of 7200rpm storage.
Would you feel good about getting the 40G SSD with a couple gigs to spare; or play is safe and cough up twice the cash for the 80G chip?
This will be my first SSD; kind of feeling my way around like a lot of other poor slobs who want the speed but don't want to cough up the cash.

ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hate to say it; but I agree with you. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to leave a little space on an SSD to rearrange files.
Just looking to save some money if I can.

thephilly

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Go with the 80gb or 2 x 40gb in a raid 0. Or even a 60 if you aren't dead set on Intel drives. OCZ Vertex series is great.

Personally I'd do the raid0, 40gb drives are cheaper than one 80 unless its an OEM.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, if you wanted to optimize the SSD a little, 40 GB would be more than enough.

I've got W7 and a couple other programs running on my SSD and it only takes up 13 GB's of space. Lowered the restore space, got firefox temp files running on my ram and a few other little tweeks. Very doable.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Doable but not recommended for several reasons, one being drive's longetivity (cells) and another speed. The higher the capacity, the bigger the memory density and therefore the highest the speed. Go for a 64GB minimum. Bite the bullet and take the plunge. You will not regret it. :)

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
IF the 38GBs in written in stone, absolutely no way.

What I was trying to explain was that he could "most definitely" cut that amount down substaintially enough so using the 40GB wouldn't be a problem. A fresh install and optimizing the OS and programs would most likely save him some money if he wanted to spend the time doing it.

As for the longevity, even more of a reason to optimize so you minimize the writes to the drive.