hcetri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I am replacing my motherboard. When I remove the processor should I reapply the thermal paste or just use what is already on it. It is an AMD with a AM2 socket.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
You want to invest in some Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Paste (or similar). You only need a small pea shaped amount for a CPU so you will more applications out of a single tube - it's an investment!! Spread the paste very thinly with clingfilm or vinyl gloves - no greasy fingerprints please!! - after cleaning the CPU heatspreader and heatsink with 99% isopropanyal alcohol, Arctic/Askasa TIM cleaner, etc., etc.

If you don't have a decent thermal contact between the CPU and the heatsink... The heatsink will feel cool(ish) to the touch and the CPU will literally fry underneath with nice insulating layer of gloop/air (or whatever crap you have put on) above it!! :pt1cable:

Bob

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Ok whats the top most expensive thermal paste on the market ? Another question I have Antec silver thermal compound how much better is it in terms of temperature better then mine.